twenty-seven; first date

♥

"I want to take Milo on a date," I tell my sister as we return from training.

Her chocolate brown eyes light up in my direction. "A date? This is so exciting!"

I rub the back of my head awkwardly. "Yeah... I mean I've never gone on a date before, I've never planned a date in my life. What if it's shit? What if he hates it? What if he's been on a thousand dates before and this doesn't live up to them?"

Viola punches my arm lightly. "You're overthinking, Nate. Calm down. Milo will love it. I don't know if you know this, but he's obsessed with you."

"No, he's not," I say defensively.

She scoffs and then flashes me a grin. "Yeah right, sure."

I roll my eyes at her sarcastic tone as we make it back to the packhouse, sweaty and covered in dirt. Today's session wasn't with our father, instead we trained a little differently in smaller groups which I appreciated. Focusing on specific weaknesses we have instead of typical fighting and defence.

If I ever became the Alpha, I'd be promoting those sorts of training sessions.

"So," Viola sings as we walk upstairs. "What's the plan for the date then?"

I've been thinking about it for the last three days. Since I went over to his pack house and talked him out of his depressive and self-destructive state. We need more time to bond, to be intimate with each other and I want to show him how serious I am about us being mates.

He put in an awful lot of effort in the start, being patient when I came across as an ass.

Now it's my turn to return the favour and ask him on a proper date.

"So I was thinking that I would ask Elin if I could borrow his father's pick up truck, take it outside and grab that old projector from the loft with a sheet and stream movies with blankets and snacks." I say as I glance at my sister.

Her hands clap together. "And fairy lights! I have a bunch in my room. That would be so cute and romantic. When it gets late you can kiss under the stars."

I shake my head. "There will be no kissing."

Viola's face falls slack. "Why?"

The thing about my sister is that she is a hopeless romantic. I've seen her book collection, it's evergrowing. Her favourite movie is probably the Notebook or Love Actually. I feel for her because I know how desperately she wants to meet her mate and I pray the time will come soon. She deserves that special someone who will treat her like the Queen she is.

"Because he's not ready for it." I state.

Her head tilts. "Why would he not be ready for it? You met him at a sex club."