fifty-one; i'm sorry

♥

The last two days have been a whirlwind. I haven't heard a single thing from Milo. I've barely been functioning. Now I feel like I'm an empty soul with no purpose but I have an entire pack due to rely on me, with Leon standing down in the next week.

I don't have time to be moping around.

People are waiting for me to step up even though I've never felt so heartbroken.

Everyone keeps asking me how I am but I've not improved over the last forty eight hours.

The only benefit is that I've been stupidly busy. Although Milo has been on my mind most of the time and I've been finding it hard to concentrate.

I hope Reign is taking care of him. She loves him with all her heart, that's obvious. But I can't help but feel concerned for his well being after his confessions about his mental state. I wanted to stay more than anything but the thought of pushing him away further cut me so deep that I didn't know what to do.

Reign said she'd let me know if anything happened and I haven't heard anything since, so I'm keeping hopeful about the situation.

"Nate?" My father's voice booms from my new soon to be office. "Are you listening?"

My eyes blink rapidly and I snap myself out of my train of thought. I push my back into the chair, clearing my throat. "Yep, yeah. I am."

After our conversation the other night, he's been patient. A side of him I barely remembered existed. I can't believe I opened up to him, I can't believe he opened up to me. "Nate," he leans closer. "If you're not feeling up to this, we can postpone it. I know you're not in the best frame of mind right now."

I shake my head. "I'm fine," I say even though my eyes are burning. "Sorry, continue."

Leon rests his arms on his desk and glances at me. "These meetings with the district are important, Nate," he says as he holds eye-contact. "You need to pay attention."

"I am," I nod.

Imogen's eyes burn into the side of my head and I refuse to look at her. "We can go over it together," she says. "After today, we can double check that we both understand. Right, Nate?"

I lick my lip and nod. "Sure." That would help a bunch considering I don't know a single thing that has been said this entire time.

"And with the training schedule," Leon continues. "I know you guys will want to change some bits and pieces there but it'll probably be good to keep the timetable."

"We've got some ideas," Imogen continues. "Don't we?"

"Yeah," I rasp. "We want to change things up, incorporate new skills and challenge the pack more than ever."

Leon hums. "Alright, well let's tal–"

"Dad," Imogen interrupts him. "We've been talking straight for the last hour. Shall we come back to this tomorrow?"