Chapter 17.

"How did you say that Grandma?"

"Did you know that there's someone who tried to poison me recently?"

Neli immediately covered her mouth in shock because of what Grandma said to her, is the reason why she saw her in a wheelchair at the dinner party is because she was poisoned? But, who wants to poison her?

"I'm s-sorry, Grandma, I-I didn't know."

"You don't have to apologize Neli. Fortunately, according to my doctor I only swallow a small portion of the poison so it didn't threaten my life, but because of my age, I had to stay in the hospital for a few days just to make sure that there will be no side effects in my body."

"But, who do you think would do that to you, Grandma?" she asked her.

"The suspect is one of the maids in the mansion." she said. "But there was something that happened that I didn't expect."

Neli just listens to her.

"Carmen came to the hospital together with that woman and Caleb came at night after my butlet informed him that I was suddenly rushed in the hospital. I was confused why that bitch came to the hospital as well, so I asked Carmen about it after the two left in the morning--."

Her eyes widened, she was interested to listen to what Grandma was saying but she got her attention when she said that Neli and Caleb left the hospital together in the morning. Was that the day they were photographed by a paparazzi and it said that Hazel might be pregnant when the two of them came out of the hospital together?

"You mean Caleb and Hazel left the hospital together, Grandma?"

"Yes, why?"

"Umm, I saw in the news-- ah, nothing Grandma."

"Are you talking about the news about that woman might be pregnant with my grandson because they came out of the hospital together? Neli, that thing is impossible." Grandma said, she was full of anger. "I know my grandson is stupid but he will never do that!"

"But why didn't he explain that to me, Grandma?"

"Because he's stupid." Grandma answered causing her to laugh. "He immediately asked to delete the photo on social media that day and stop it from spreading, and he filed a case against that paparazzi and put him in jail because of that article."

"He did that?"

"It's misinformation and a fake news, and you can do anything if you have money." Grandma laughed at her own joke.

If so, the news that Hazel is pregnant is not true, the only reason the two are together in the hospital is because they visited Grandma. She felt relieved because of what she found out.

Grandma continue.

"So after that, Carmen saw that woman in front of the hospital and said that she was there to visit me because she heard that I was poisoned, but what Carmen didn't know was that I told my butler and even the maids in the mansion that only Caleb and Carmen should know what happened to me."

"Then, why did Hazel--?"

"Exactly! Why does that woman know that I'm in the hospital when only Carmen and Caleb knows what happened, that's why I had the idea that she had something to do with what happened to me." Grandma explains. "I didn't told them and made my own investigation, I learned that there was a maid in my mansion who suddenly disappeared after someone poisoned me. I asked my butler to find that maid but they couldn't find her, the police also said that she might leave the country so I asked all my friends who owns the airlines company to check her name, but they didn't find her name and the police suddenly informed me that the maid I was looking for was found dead in the river a few days ago."

Neli was shocked, she felt her stomach turn upside down with nervousness and fear. If the suspect died, it means that the person who was behind Grandma's poisoning killed the suspect.

"And I suddenly remembered what you asked me, that if the suspect who wants to hit Caleb was caught back then. Carmen told me that Hazel asked her not to look for him because she said she's okay and nothing happens to Caleb, that's suspicious so I asked your Grandpa's friend to secretly reinvestigate the case and now they are looking for the driver of the car, but because the accident happened fourteen years ago so the police are having a hard time getting leads about the suspect."

Neli felt a little scared for herself, if Grandma was right in suspecting that Hazel was the mastermind of all those events then it was clear that her life was also in danger.

"When I found out what happened to you, that girl immediately entered my mind, I became even more suspicious when I found out that she was hired by Carmen to be your replacement while you are recovering. To be honest, I was mad at Carmen because of what she was giving to that woman. I want to confront her, but I know now is not the right time and I want to find some evidence first before doing that."

"I want to help Grandma." that's all she can say.

If her life is in danger, she knows she would rather fight than let Hazel do what she wanted.

"It's too dangerous, Neli."

"I know, but even if I do nothing my life is still in danger so I should better do something."

"But you need to get better first."

"I still can--."

"Grandma, Neli." they turned to Caleb when they heard his voice. "I have to leave for a while." he said as he approached them.

"Where are you going?" Grandma asked with a raised eyebrow.

"My assistant called me and said that Hazel was in the hospital, and she's going--."

"So what?" Grandma stopped him from talking. "So what if she's in the hospital?"

Neli immediately felt a pain in her heart when she heard Caleb's words.

"I need to stop--."

"Are you a doctor now?" she said suddenly.

"N-no." he looks frustrated. "But that wo--."

She didn't know why she felt angry while looking at Caleb.

"Leave!" she said indifferently then called Mel on her phone.

She noticed that he was stunned and his face suddenly turned pale because of what she said.

"My wife, can you please listen--."

"Mel, can you come here in the garden, Grandma and I need to go back inside."

"I will take--."

"Don't even bother Caleb, just leave."

"I will explain every--."

"You don't have to, you can do whatever you want."

Caleb was about to kiss her forehead but she turned her head to avoid him and look at the flowers in the garden, she doesn't want to see him right now. She knows she's not in the position to get mad at Caleb, but she still gets mad.

"I'll come back later."

Her tears immediately fell when she heard Caleb's footsteps away from her and Grandma.

"Stupid brat!" she heard Grandma say then she patted her back. "Remember that I'm always here for you no matter what you decide."

She couldn't stop herself from crying, she didn't cry back then even when she signed the divorced paper and left the villa, but she couldn't stop herself from crying now when she heard what Grandma said. She can't take the pain anymore, she just wants to get rid of what she feels for him. She's waiting for Caleb to explain everything or at least answer all of her questions, but he never did.

When Mel arrived in the garden they immediately entered the house, since Caleb wasn't there for her she decided to walk to go to her room on her own after Grandma left.

At night, she heard that Caleb came back. Fortunately, she told to her father not to let Caleb come inside the house cause she doesn't want to see him.