─ 11. bruises

─ 11. bruises

***

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Miss Morgan?"

A small tired sigh left my lips. But nevertheless, I smiled politely, remembering the manners that were harshly taught to me when I was younger.

"Yes, Mrs. Pope?"

The older lady, near my mother's age, and acted like her too, was the party planner Mother had chosen to help her with the huge fancy party they were hosting tomorrow night.

The older lady sniffed and examined the purple bags underneath my bags with distain "Your mother expects you to join her inside, Miss. Morgan."

Again?

A whimper nearly left my throat as I immediately knew what Mother wanted. She wanted to oversee my piano lessons, as she had been doing the moment the butler brought my luggage inside, and more than likely take out her frustration on me whenever I made a small mistake.

The blue and yellow bruises on my hands throbbed from their place in my jacket pocket.

A sigh left my lips.

"Thank you for letting me know, Mrs. Pope." I forced a smile and turned away from the huge white tent as the workers put it into place. Tiredness, as always, filled my veins as I watched six large men carrying one of the pianos out of the house, and into the tent.

God, when would this end?

My injured hands shook as I gingerly brought them to rub along my eyes.

As I hurried towards the large house, I tilted my face downwards, in hopes no one would see my face. It would be obvious how exhausted and sick I looked. The last time I had gotten a decent amount of sleep was before I left Charleston.

Home.

A pang raced across my chest as I thought about my brothers, Sang, Kayli, and Corey.

Crackers, I missed them so much.

With Mother being so overbearing and never leaving me alone, I had only gotten to speak with them twice in the past three months.

Hopefully, I could convince Mother to allow me to speak to them – considering I had been doing exactly as I had been told.

Also, my birthday was tomorrow.
Hence the huge party Father and Mother were putting on – just to show the other socialites in the area I was, once again, in their possession.

Thinking about home made me think of Mister Jeon.

It hurt most to think about him. And about Dae.

It was freakin' agony to think about Selene. And the baby she was carrying.