─ 33. desperately seeking

***

ELENA'S POV

I felt instantly at peace the moment I stepped through my front door. Slamming it behind me with an elbow; I made sure to lock the front door for good measure.

Be calm...you have survived.

My shoulders rose and fell, trying to catch my breath from all the running I did to get here. I walked further into the silent home and carefully climbed the stairs until I got to my bedroom.

Entering the room, I smiled at the familiar surroundings and felt simply at ease. Mister Jeon and Selene were the main causes of my unease, so I had to get out of there. I desperately missed Dae already.

I hoped I could see him soon, rather than later.

I hoped to see Ae Ri and Minjin again before they left Charleston.

I sighed heavily and carefully sat down on my bed, setting my duffle down beside me. Looking at the places Max usually lays, I missed him desperatly.

While my brothers and Sang were gone, Jessica and Erica had taken the chance to take the dog to their place up the road to spend some time with them.

I sighed once more and forced myself to get up and put away my things before I was soon in the same place I was before.

Lying back against my pillows, I stared at my hands.

Since my brothers and Sang had left and I was distracted by Dae and the others - they had barely pained me. Enough to where I didn't even need to take my medication.

An hour had passed with me barely moving from my lazed position.

A knock on the door downstairs knocked me from my half asleep daze. Instantly, my brows furrowed and my heart leapt into my throat. I slowly got up from my position and sneaked over to my window and moved aside the curtains to peer out.

Oh crackers...

God hasn't been on my side today, apparently.

Down below, I watched Mister Jeon wait by the front door, face relaxed for the first time since he came back from his trip. My heart was beating erratically in my chest and I debated whether or not to pretend that I wasn't there.

But it wouldn't work.

The first reason was that he had seen me enter the house, and the second reason was that as I went to back away, his voice drifted into my ears, stopping me in my tracks.

"Sweetie? Open up, I need to speak with you." He spoke deeply, the tone of voice giving me no choice but to obey his command. On autopilot, I left my window and slowly, and I mean slowly walked to the door.