─ 22. family is a choice

***

ONE WEEK LATER

ELENA'S POV

The doctor prodding at my hands made it hard to conceal my hiss of pain. The casts were off, as well as the gauze that were wrapped around my middle fingers. I felt my heart drop the moment I saw my hands in the clear light.

They didn't look good.

The stiches that were keeping the skin of my middle fingers together were nearly dissolved, but the bruising and swelling was terrible. My fingernails were just now starting to gain their way back to their original color – I thanked God that they didn't fall off.

It hurts looking at my hands.

But at least it was better than what they were.

My seven broken fingers were aligned with new splints to keep them in place. I couldn't mess with them much, unless I wanted my bones to heal back incorrectly.

"It appears that due to all the trauma and breaks you've endured," said Dr. Lovet, a close friend of Dr. Roberts and Sean, "You will have to wear the casts for at least three more weeks before you go in for another x ray or even physical therapy. Have you been able to move them? Even just a little?" he asked, white brows coming together as I stiffened in my seat.

Mr. B, who accompanied me to my appointment watched me closely.

"I can move my thumbs alright—" I said quietly, "I've been working with the rest of my fingers, and I can only move them a little." I decided it would be best to be honest, that way maybe my hands would be back to normal soon.

If they ever are, the snarky voice snipped inside my head, causing my brows to draw together.

Shut up.

Dr. Lovet clicked his tongue in approval, "Keep doing that every day. If you do, I'm sure you'll gain more movement."

I sighed in response.

The rest of the appointment flew by in a blur, and I stayed silent as Dr. Lovet applied new gauze and casts onto my hands. I instantly missed the slight freedom I had away from the casts while it lasted.

Mr. B guided me out of the hospital and into his grey BMW and we were on our way back home.

I fidgeted in my seat. I haven't been home in about a week. Of course, my family visited, but I hadn't been near Mister Jeon's house.

After running into him and being so close to him...it...well it gnawed at me for the past week.

I must have looked like I died and then got resurrected.