─ 38. don't let the hard days win

***

ELENA'S POV
8 AM

I watched, transfixed, at the Rolex on Jungkook's wrist to distract me from the nervousness I felt while sitting beside him in the waiting room of the orthopedic office.

This morning; after running out of Jungkook's bedroom, I had showered, gotten dressed, and spent my time with Dae while Ae Ri, Jungkook, and Munjin cooked breakfast.

Too soon, we finished eating, and Jungkook drove me to my appointment, and decided to stay.

"You don't have to stay, if you don't want to." I whispered to him, slightly jumping when he carefully petted my hair. I peered up at him and found him already watching me. He carefully licked his lips and opened his mouth to speak.

"I want to be here for you, sweetie." he said quietly - seemingly not paying any attention to the men and women watching him - nearly dooling. Not that I could blame them, I do the same.

A giggle nearly left my lips when I witnessed a pretty woman nearly trip in her heels when she caught sight of the handsome man seated next to me. I shyly and squirmed in my seat until I was comfortable.

It didn't take long for the nurse to call me back; and when I stood to walk through the door, leading to the doctor's office - Jungkook stood to his feet, towering over my short frame and followed after me.

I followed the nurse down the hallway, Jungkook right behind me. A shiver went down my spine as I felt the warmth of his body soak into my back as we waited for the nurse to open the door.

"The doctor will be with you shortly." She smiled softly after seeing us settled into chairs inside the room.

The room smelled of bleach, and most oddly - hand sanitizer. I settled back into the chair, feeling nervous for what was to come.

I gulped, the sound echoing in my ears - what if I didn't get my casts taken off? What if they were not healed enough? Were my hands permanently damage to where I couldn't move and rotate them freely...what about being able to play the piano.

Jungkook's hand on my shoulder drew me from my thoughts.

He forced me to look into his eyes, and once I did - his doe eyes were saddened in concern.

"What's wrong, sweetie? Are you nervous?" he guessed correctly and I nodded, peeking down at my casted hands.

"Yeah," the word escaped my lips in a near whisper, "What if my hands are never the same, Jungkook? What will happen then?" I wanted to leave this place.

Jungkook sighed and moved to kneel in front of me, taking my wrists into his huge hands, the coolness of the rings on his fingers startling me slightly. I stared at the prominent veins on his hands and felt my mouth dry up.