─ 12. broken

─ 12. broken

[ tw: violence, abuse, panic attacks ]

***

That night, I was able to sleep for a couple hours before being awakened by my dreams of Mister Jeon and Dae again - and the flashes of Mother beating me with the ruler.

It was only four o'clock in the morning.

Even though I was fully aware of the fact that it was a dream - tears still dripped down my cheeks as I remembered watching Mister Jeon and Dae smile lovingly up at Selene as Mister Jeon's hands cradled her swollen stomach.

I felt sick, and the grip Mother had around my neck tightened as she forced me to watch the scene that tore my heart in two.

For the third time in a row.

And it was more than likely happening in real life.

I stumbled out of bed, face planting on the carpet before my shaking, sore hands pushed me to my feet. I was left in a daze as I hurried downstairs and into the music room - the only place that felt like home to me.

My long pale hair hung in limp tangles around my face.

It made me feel ashamed of how far I'd fallen since leaving home. My entire body shook in relief as I took my place on the piano bench and buried my face in my arms.

Sobs tore out of my throat, replaying the scene over and over inside my head.

I didn't want to think of it.

It hurt too much.

I sniffled, head resting on the fallboard and closed my eyes. My hands gently traced over the piano, the familiar texture calming me.

I missed Vic and the others so much.

I wiped my tears off my cheeks hastily. Hopefully Mother had already sent a message to Mr. Blackbourne and Vic. Maybe Kayli was already on her way.

***

I never did fall back into my slumber after that nightmare woke me. My limbs ached terribly from laying on the piano for hours. I watched the sun rise, exhaustion already weighing on me.

Happy Birthday to me, I guess.

Nothing felt special about today.