─ 23. special nickname

LATER THAT DAY
ELENA'S POV
NINE PM

Mother is gone.

She's gone.

For good.

I can hardly believe it.

Tears of joy and disbelief dripped down my cheeks. Thank you, good lord, I prayed, closing my eyes in relief. It feels like the weight of the world fell off my shoulders and evaporated.

It would be one less thing to worry about. I looked around the darkness of my room, a tiny genuine smile on my lips.

I pulled myself up and propped my back up against the headboard and pressed the button above my bed. Light illuminated my bedroom, and I grunted slightly, thankful the pain meds are working and eyed my bathroom.

Would this be a good time to see if I can finally take a bath myself?

I'm pretty sure Sang and Sean left the pieces of plastic that goes over my hands. Wouldn't hurt to find out, right? With a sigh, I dragged my tired legs off my bed, and carefully righted myself shakily.

With everything going on, figuring how to wash my hair with the bulky casts would take my mind off everything.

Like your Mister Jeon, huh? The snarky voice snapped hatefully within the confines of my mind. Hmmm...I wonder what's he doing now? Selene, perhaps?

Leave. Me. Alone.

I flinched at the memory of a couple nights ago in my mind and fought the urge to tear up.

I shook my head and walked slowly into my bathroom. I shut the door behind me and carefully sat down on the toilet seat and hummed to myself. I avoided looking into the mirror; knowing what I would see. Emerald colored eyes that were once bright and lively were now haunted, blood shot, and shadowed, my face was pale – pale enough to where the freckles dotting my face seemed out of place.

I just seemed sad.

My lips pulled themselves down into a frown.

My thumbs gripped the bottom of my easily removable dress and I grunted, carefully maneuvering it up and over my head.

A tinge of victory erupted within my veins as the dress dropped to the floor and I was left in my sports bra and panties. I kicked the dress into the hamper and trotted over to my bathroom.

I clenched my teeth, flitting my thumbs around the hot water knob and allowed the water to fill the tub up. While the spacious tub filled with water, I finally got up enough courage to walk in front of the tall mirror leaning against the wall and stared at my nearly bare body.