─ 34. call me by my name

***

ELENA'S POV
12 PM

I didn't speak the entire drive back to Mister Jeon's house. Sitting stiffly in the passenger seat of his Mercedes, I wanted to disappear.

Mister Jeon didn't speak either, but I felt him cast his gaze on me every so often when we left my house and got into his car. Thankfully, we made it to his house, and I hurried and took off my seat belt - and pulled the door handle using my thumb.

Mister Jeon watched me, face set in a rigid expression as I slid out of the car.

"I was going to get the door, sweetie." He finally said quietly, hand coming up to rub the back of his neck. I gulped and stared down at Mister Jeon's t-shirt I was wearing.

Crackers. Why didn't I change before I left?

"...It's okay, Mister Jeon." I forced a smile. "It's good for me to do things on my own."

Like staying by myself...taking care of myself, etc.

Mister Jeon flinched at the underlying meaning and I felt bad. Why did I feel guilty? Curse my conscience. He never replied, but got out of the car and locked it with a beep after grabbing my larger bag out of the back.

He jerked his chin to the front door. "Come." he said, walking off before I could say anything. I followed after him like a lost puppy after hearing the command in his voice.

"Eomma and Appa left earlier while I was speaking with Victor," Mister Jeon said, ignoring when I stopped dead in my tracks.

I felt like my heart just shot out of my bottom.

"...What?" I struggled to speak, "w-when will they be back?" I would hardly be able to be around Mister Jeon with them...how was I going to be while being alone with him? Oh crackers...

Mister Jeon's jaw ticked when he finally met my eyes. "They're taking him to the park and then going to see a movie later."

Oh crackers.

Is it too late to join them?

Mister Jeon waved a large tattooed hand to usher me inside the house, and I slowly skirted past him and entered the house once more. Looking around, in all honesty - I loved Mister Jeon's house, but as I said before...the memories I had spent inside the house were too much at times...and speaking of bad memories, I had yet to see Selene again.

Was she staying even longer in California? It seemed unlike Mister Jeon to not have her around, since she's the mother of his baby, after all.

I winced and forced myself not to react when pain zinged throughout my chest.