Fall back

It's not hell if you like the way it burns.

Getting out of behavioral cycles has never been your claim to fame. It's not like you didn't try to break out of them, you did. Past tense. But life has been a little heavy lately and you can see yourself slowly falling back to your old ways. Your therapist wasn't exactly pleased with this fact but there was nothing that could be done, the old familiar patterns just felt easier.

And not a lot of things felt easy at the moment.

"...I am talking to you, are you listening?" The voice of your therapist calls you back to reality.

"I am now. Sorry."

"It's ok, I think we are done for today, but try to think about what we talked about, ok?" She sounds tired, like she was losing hope in you.

You wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case. It happens a lot.

You say goodbye and leave the clinic to go back to work. You really hate it sometimes.

Not the work though, the work is great, being a content creator in a public relations agency (that as weird as it sounds pays you well) is by far not the worst job someone could have. Not your life either, you have your own place, an apartment downtown, a stable job and a black cat. There's not a lot of things you could ask beside it that wouldn't make you look like an ungrateful bitch. Or at least that's how a lot of people saw you: ungrateful.

"You have no reason to feel like this, you have everything!" or

"You should think about the people that have less than you and how grateful they would be to have one third of the luck you had in life"

They would say, and at this point you didn't pay that much attention anymore. You have learned that one thing doesn't exclude the other, or so that's what your therapist has been trying desperately to show you.

What you really hate is this numbing routine in which everything feels the same. The days blur into weeks and the weeks pass by with this cloud that makes reality seem, well, unreal, like you're detached from your own body, just watching this body that looks like yours (sometimes) move on with its actions without thinking.

Like a robot.

The thought makes you laugh a little, people have such a thing against robots and artificial intelligence because 'they are incapable of thinking, they only reproduce the patterns someone instilled in them'. You even doubt you yourself are capable of thinking in this suffocating routine and you keep falling into the same stupid traps over and over again. Maybe humans and robots are not too far apart.

"Hey! There you are! We were just talking about you!" Your colleague says in a light tone as she sees you enter the room. "Oh well, you know what they say, any press is good press" You reply laughing and your other colleagues laugh too. They are nice.

The rest of the days flow as usual and when you wake up again, you are in the middle of the meeting that the accounts manager has scheduled to present to the new client. It must be someone important, they've been talking about it non stop for the past week.

"This must be a big deal if he is wearing that suit just to tell us who it is" The copywriter you are usually paired up with jokes when he realizes you're back to planet earth. You two have a peculiar sense of humor and it usually takes one glance between the both of you for one to burst out laughing. The side eyes are a main aspect in your relationship.

"As you all know, we've been trying to expand our work for artists, influencers and public figures that are seeing their work gain more recognition on digital channels..." The manager looks so excited about this client that you're sure he might explode at any moment. "And in this case, we were incredibly lucky to have signed a contract with WWE for components of one of their most important teams: the WWE team Judgement Day"

Everyone gasped. You included. Wrestling was a common interest amongst the agency, to the point some of you were considering the idea of making the next company reunion a wrestling championship at your manager's country house.

The meeting ended and your colleagues were euphoric. You were all left with the 'homework' of doing some research on the topic and the people you would be working with because during the following week some of you would be divided in groups and assigned to work exclusively with one of the wrestlers.

"I really wanna work with Damian... and maybe do something else too, who knows." Your colleague gave you the look and you choked on your irish coffee.

"Oh my god you are insufferable" You say while rolling your eyes and giving him a smirk "Oh come on now, it's not like you wouldn't want one of them to push you up against a wall" "I'm not desperate, Sebastian, and also, famous people usually have a special way of being assholes" Rolling your eyes once again, you push his shoulder lightly. "Yeah sure, but when you change your mind don't come for my man. Anyway, I gotta go! See you!" You two laughed and parted ways.

Most people question how the two of you became friends, him being the social butterfly he is while you the quirky introvert one and to be honest, you didn't know either. Most of the time you didn't understand why people stayed (or why they even came, in the first place) since you weren't exactly the picture of a friendly person: not nice, not into making conversations and with a 'keep distance' demeanor and. Even though your friends said that's not true, you couldn't help but to feel like they were just lying to drop off the subject. "Note to self, mention this to my therapist next time" You said to yourself as in your mind the list of reasons why people shouldn't be your friends kept dancing around your thoughts.