01 | Tuition classes?

"Today, Kiara, whether you surpass or not... Should I go home? Should I not go? Oh God! I have to go..." Kiara muttered to herself, pacing back and forth. Today, her exam results were announced, and luckily she passed. However, the only problem was that her percentage was very low, extremely low, too low!

She bit her lower lip and glanced at her marksheet again. She blinked her eyes a few times, and soon her chin began to quiver. "My mom will surely kill me," she muttered under her breath. Feeling defeated, she placed her marksheet into her school bag.

"Whatever happens, I'll deal with it," she gathered her courage and walked straight towards her house.

Slowly opening the front door, she looked around and sighed in relief upon seeing no one in the living room. "For now, I have escaped! Thank you, God," she whispered, smiling a little. As soon as she entered the house, her mother appeared out of nowhere. Kiara tightly closed her eyes, "I hate you, God..."

Her mother frowned upon seeing her daughter behaving strangely. "What happened? Why are you making such faces... Go freshen up, lunch is ready," she said, before heading towards the kitchen.

Kiara let out a sigh of relief, "Sorry, God... I accidentally said 'I hate you', otherwise I love you" she smiled widely, grateful that her mother didn't ask about the result. Maybe she didn't know that it was going to be announced today.

Kiara quickly rushed to her room and locked the door behind her. She sat on her bed, staring blankly at the walls. "What am I going to do now?" she whispered to herself. She knew she couldn't hide her result forever, and sooner or later, her mother would find out.

Sighing deeply, Kiara took out her marksheet from her bag again. She looked at it, hoping that somehow the numbers would change, but they remained the same. Her heart sank. She had always been an average student, but she never thought her percentage would be this low.

She knew her mother had high expectations of her, and she couldn't bear to disappoint her. Taking off her uniform, she went into the washroom for a quick shower.

After some time, she came out of the washroom, wearing fresh clothes and drying her wet hair with a small towel.

"Kiara!! The food is getting cold, hurry up!"

"Okay, Mom!"

As Kiara entered the kitchen, she noticed the expression on her mother's face, her eyebrows furrowing. Oh God! How scary she looks right now. "Mom, I have something to tell you," she said, her voice trembling slightly. Her mother turned towards her, "What is it?" she asked, her voice slightly loud and stern.

"N... nothing! It just... just you're looking so beautiful today mom, you are the best mom," she quickly changed the subject, smiling widely at her mother who was now glaring at her.

"So annoying, go have your lunch!"

"Yes, captain mom!" Kiara forced a laugh and sat down at the dining table, trying to eat as quickly as possible. Her mother watched her intently, suspicion evident in her eyes. Kiara's heart pounded as she took each bite, her mind racing with thoughts of how to break the news about her exam results.

Finally mustering up some courage, Kiara looked up at her mother. "Mom, I want to tell you something..." she began, her voice shaky.