24 | He's cute.

"You scared me, dear.” She turned towards Dhruv, who was staring at Kiara with his eyes widened, “and why are you just standing here? Go and freshen up, you'll catch a cold otherwise, gadha!" his mother scolded while glaring at him before taking a seat beside Kiara.

He nodded and, muttering something under his breath, took off his shoes before heading upstairs to his room. Dhruv's mother turned to Kiara with a small smile.

"I often call him 'gadha’, but my son is very intelligent. Yes, sometimes he does some foolish things," she said, handing Kiara the warm ladoos, which she gladly accepted.

“He has been tutoring since 8th grade; he believes everyone should have access to knowledge," she laughed softly, shaking her head.

Letting out a sigh, she glanced at Kiara, who smiled softly at her. "Dhruv sir bohot ache hai," she said before taking a bite of the ladoo.

"Yes, he is. He's hard working too. He wakes up early in the morning to study, then goes to college and comes back around five. He comes straight to teach you guys, and sometimes, he even has to go to the hospital at night for duty..."

"Does he work that much?" Kiara asked, her respect for her tutor growing even more upon hearing about his dedication.

“Um, eat quickly... Dhruv will be here soon,” Dhruv’s mother said before heading towards the other room.

Kiara giggled softly at the album picture she'd seen, taking out her phone to capture the moment before Dhruv returned. She snapped the photo swiftly, trying not to laugh too loudly at the adorable childhood sight she had discovered.

"Who knew that sir was such an adorable child in his childhood," she said, staring at the picture she just took.

"Was I really that cute?"

She let out a gasp before turning to see Dhruv standing behind her, a small smile on his face as he looked at the photo on her phone.

Kiara was taken aback, her eyes widening as she hastily closed her phone. "Um, sir! You're here," she stuttered, cheeks flushing slightly.

Dhruv cleared his throat, his expression turned serious. "Yes, I am. Now delete that…" he said, folding his arms in a strict manner.

"Why? You were looking so cute here!" Kiara blurted out but soon started feeling slightly embarrassed, “I mean, everyone looks adorable in childhood.”

Kiara felt the heat rise to her cheeks, seeing her Dhruv's serious expression wavered slightly, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Well, that's no excuse. It's embarrassing!" he retorted, but his tone softened.

"No! It's not!"

"What will you do with this photo?" Dhruv asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Uh... nothing... oh, I'm getting late. I should leave, I'll come tomorrow!" She said hurriedly before standing up from the sofa. Grabbing her bag, she turned to leave but stopped at her track and turned around to face him.

"Dhruv sir, you said Auntie doesn't call you 'gadha'," she said, leaning slightly towards the table, her eyes fixed on him.

“Besan ke laddu, khayenge?” she said, taking the last two ladoos from the bowl. Dhruv took a deep breath, squinting his eyes at her. "You won't tell anyone anything," he whispered, gritting his teeth a little.

"What? That your mom calls you 'gadha'?" She asked, whispering while playfully wiggling her eyebrows.

"Yes..." He nodded.

“Aap tension mat lo main… subha Tak sabko bol dungi!” She exclaimed before dashing towards the door.

“Oi! Kiara! Pagal ladki!”

***

Kiara continued giggling as she rolled on her bed like a burrito. "Stop it, Kiara. How long will you keep blushing?" She talked to herself before getting up from her bed and walking towards her study table.

Grabbing her phone she played a romantic song and started to twirled around her room, pretending to dance with an invisible partner before abruptly stopping in front of the mirror.

"Seriously, Kiara! Control yourself," she mock scolded her reflection, giggling at her own antics.

She plopped down at her study table, opening her books with a determined expression. But the memory of Dhruv's playful scolding and his mother's affectionate banter kept distracting her. Every time she tried to focus, she'd remember something amusing, and a smile would involuntarily spread across her face.

"I should focus!” she muttered to herself, trying to reign in her scattered thoughts.

Minutes turned into an hour, and she found herself lost in thought, pen in hand but her mind dancing with memories.

Meanwhile, Dhruv was meticulously ironing his clothes for his upcoming convocation ceremony. As he pressed the fabric, a soft chuckle escaped his lips, recalling the lively teasing Kiara had unleashed upon him.

"Completely nuts," he murmured, shaking his head as he concentrated on finishing the task. After ironing his trousers, he began folding them when a call interrupted his work. He paused, then answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Dhruv, congratulations!!" His brother exclaimed from the other end.

"Thank you, Bhai... but what happened?" A confused smile formed on Dhruv’s face, his eyebrows furrowing slightly as he awaited clarification from his brother.

"Oh, you got the scholarship! You're going to the USA!”