32 | Kiara?

"You've just come, and now you're leaving so soon?" Dhruv's mother expressed, her face wearing a sad pout.

Dhruv sighed, turning to face her. "Maa, I'll keep coming back, and I've come to India to work. It's my responsibility now," he explained, hoping she'd understand.

His mother shook her head. "Then why didn't you find a job in a hospital here?" she asked, a frown on her face.

"But I've already committed to that hospital, Maa. Please try to understand," he said, holding her hands gently.

His mother sighed before nodding. "Will you be alright there? Will you manage your own meals?" she asked, her voice trembling a bit.

"You're speaking as if I had a personal chef back in America. Even there, I used to cook, remember?" he chuckled, shaking his head.

His mother's concern remained. "Yes, but you'll miss my cooking. Promise me you'll eat properly, not just survive on instant noodles!"

Dhruv grinned. "Maa, I might not cook as well as you, but I'll manage. And I'll video call you whenever I cook to show you I'm doing just fine!"

His mother smiled, feeling reassured. "Okay," she said, slightly upset. Dhruv chuckled before embracing her, feeling her warmth.

She gently stroked his head. "You're twenty-nine now. When will you bring a daughter-in-law?" she asked suddenly, making Dhruv glance up at her.

"Daughter-in-law? I haven't even reached the age to get married yet," he said, snuggling closer.

"You have grown old, white hairs haven't arrived on my head, they have come on yours," his mother teased him, ruffling his hair.

"It's because of stress…"

"Whatever! By the way, what kind of girl do you like? I'll find the perfect bride for you," she insisted.

“I don't want a perfect one; imperfect ones are more beautiful…” he murmured.

“Do you have someone in mind?”

“Hmm, maybe.”

His mother's face lit up; she started caressing his head again.

“What is 'maybe'? Yes or no?” she asked, a small smile on her face.

"Maa, why are you asking me this?" he asked before quickly sitting up suspiciously. He saw his mother shrugging her arms nonchalantly.

“Just, is she beautiful?” She asked again, mischief in her eyes. Dhruv tried not to smile but soon blushed, especially his ears.

"Why are you blushing so much?! Tell me!"

"Am I blushing? Come on, I'm not," he said loudly before laying his head on her lap.

"...hmm, now I'll have to meet the girl who is responsible for my son's condition," she teased him, earning a shy smile from Dhruv.

"It's not that easy..." he mumbled, the smile never leaving his lips.

"Why? Are her parents strict? Is she from a different caste? I have no issue with that!" She said, her voice serious yet soft.

"That's not it, Maa. She herself doesn't know that I like her," he confessed softly.

"One-sided? Oh no! Gadha! Quickly tell her your feelings, or else she might find someone else," she said, pushing him off her lap.

"Go now, let me sleep!” She added.

"Ouch! Hmm, Good night,” he said, before leaving the room.
.
.
.
.
His flight landed in Mumbai. Upon exiting the airport, Dhruv spotted a signboard bearing the words ‘Welcome Dr. Dhruv Sehgal,’ held by a young man.

Approaching the man, Dhruv felt his heart racing with every step. His mind was consumed with various thoughts, especially thoughts of someone special. As he drew nearer, the young man greeted him with a wide grin, offering a handshake.

"Welcome, Dr. Sehgal! I'm Sameer, Dr. Mehra’s secretary," he greeted enthusiastically. Dhruv returned the handshake with a small smile on his handsome face.

"Shall we head to the hospital first or your apartment?" Sameer asked.

"Yes, let's go to the hospital first," Dhruv nodded, eager to begin this new chapter of his life. As they walked towards the car, thoughts of the possibility of meeting Kiara pulsed through his mind.

Driving through the vibrant streets of Mumbai, Dhruv couldn't suppress the excitement surging within him. His thoughts reverted to Kiara, the girl he longed to see, the one who had occupied a special place in his heart for so long.

“Will I be able to confess my feelings that I've bottled up for years?” he pondered while gazing out of the car window.

“We have reached the hospital, Dr. Sehgal…” the driver interrupted, bringing Dhruv's wandering thoughts back to the present.

Dhruv nodded, adjusting his spectacles and straightening his suit before opening the door.

⚕️

"Dr. Dhruv, welcome, my friend!" Arjun smiled widely, extending his arms for a hug, which Dhruv gladly accepted with a chuckle, feeling a sense of comfort seeing a familiar face in a new place.

"How was your flight?" Arjun inquired as they walked through the corridors of the hospital.

"It was good, thank you. And how’s everything here?" Dhruv asked, genuinely curious about his new workplace.

"Busy as always!" Arjun replied with a laugh. "I’ll show you around and introduce you to the rest of the staff."

Walking alongside Arjun, Dhruv tried to maintain his composure while his heart raced with anticipation. The hospital bustled with activity—white-coated medical professionals rushed past, patients awaited their turn, and the hum of conversations echoed through the corridors.

Strolling through the hospital, Dhruv's gaze flickered from one face to another, hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

Arjun guided Dhruv through various departments, introducing him to nurses, doctors, and administrative staff. With each introduction, Dhruv's eagerness to spot that certain someone grew more intense.

After the initial rounds, Arjun suggested, "Let's grab a quick coffee, Dhruv. You must be exhausted from your journey," leading the way to the hospital cafeteria.

Dhruv nodded with a smile before following Arjun, noticing the bandage around Arjun’s hand. “How did you injure your hand?” he inquired, curious. Arjun glanced down at his hand with a faint smile on his face.

“I did something stupid,” he replied.

Arjun's response piqued Dhruv's curiosity, but before he could inquire further, they reached the hospital cafeteria. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air as they made their way to an unoccupied table.

Taking a seat, Arjun gestured for Dhruv to join him. Engaging Dhruv in a conversation about the hospital's operations, its various departments, and the cases they handle, Arjun sipped his coffee, discussing the hospital.

As Dhruv glanced around, his heart skipped a beat as he saw a young woman in a white lab coat rushing towards the exit. He caught only a glimpse of her side profile, but something about her seemed inexplicably familiar.

"Kiara…?”