31 | Sad reality.

"Drive fast, Shanvi!" Kiara shouted.

"You're the one who woke up late, don't shout at me!" her friend yelled back.

"Okay! Okay, sorry. The president of the hospital is coming today... that's why I'm a bit nervous," Kiara said, her voice a little shaky as they were traveling on a scooter.

"Will he eat you up? Why are you taking so much tension?" Shanvi asked.

Meet Shanvi, Kiara's roommate, cook, and most importantly, her best friend. And no, she's not a medical student like Kiara; she works at the biggest and most reputable pharmaceutical company in Mumbai.

Kiara chuckled nervously, clinging tighter to Shanvi. "I just hope he doesn't!" She said, feeling her heartbeat racing at an inhuman pace.

Soon, they reached the hospital where Kiara was doing her internship. She quickly dismounted the scooter and started running towards the entrance. "Oi! At least give me my helmet, idiot!" Shanvi said, a grin on her face.

Kiara halted in her tracks and swiftly turned around before running back toward her best friend. "I forgot," she said and started to take off her helmet.

Kiara handed over the helmet and bid a quick goodbye before sprinting towards the entrance.

Kiara gave a broad smile to the elderly lady who was cleaning the floor before heading towards the reception. "Palak di! Has everyone arrived?" she asked, slightly out of breath.

Smiling back at Kiara, Palak nodded gently. "They've just gone for the morning rounds. You should also go," she said softly, eliciting a sigh of relief from Kiara, who now began hurrying towards the elevator.

Upon reaching the second floor, Kiara joined the medical team and commenced taking notes. Subsequently, after completing the rounds, she began examining several patients. Presently, she was attending to a child suffering from a severe case of asthma.

"Wow, Aansu! Your reports are showing improvement... you're a strong boy!" she said, smiling at the little boy, while his parents sitting beside him also smiled.

"What reports, Doctor? My class reports?" The little boy asked, tilting his head.

Kiara leaned in closer to the young patient, whispering conspiratorially, "Your lungs report! Your lungs are just playing hide and seek, and they're getting better at the game!" Aansu's eyes widened, and he giggled, his parents joining in with amused chuckles.

"But shhh," Kiara added with a wink, "don't let them know that the medicines are helping them." The boy nodded enthusiastically, his grin widening but soon his expression turned confused.

"How will I not let them know?" He asked innocently. Kiara chuckled a bit before straightening up to her full height.

"Eat your medicine without making a fuss, okay?" Kiara said, smiling at the boy. When she heard shouting and yelling coming from the hallway, she frowned slightly before making her way toward it.

She saw a man yelling at nurses and then started pushing one of them. Kiara glanced at everyone present there, wondering why nobody was bothering to help.

"Sir! That's not our fault-" one nurse began.

"It's all your fault, that doctor's too... where the hell is he? Because of him, I lost my wife!" the man shouted.

"Sir! Sir, please calm down..."

"Don't touch me! I will... I will kill you!" He grabbed the flower vase from the floor. Seeing him do that, Kiara's eyes widened in fear. She immediately ran towards them and tried to shield the nurse with her body.