43 | A clusmy moment!

At the dining table, Kiara sat across from Dhruv, while Vikram was seated next to Dhruv. Shanvi and Reshmi sat alongside Kiara.

As Kiara was just about to enjoy her chapati, she felt a sudden brush against her leg. She glanced at Dhruv, who was already looking at her. "Oops, sorry about that," Kiara quickly apologized, feeling her cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"It's okay," he reassured her with a smile. As they all settled for brunch, Kiara sensed someone's feet brushing against hers once more. Glancing at Dhruv, who seemed to be eating quietly, she initially overlooked it and resumed eating.

But the sensation persisted, prompting her to shoot Dhruv a pointed look. Taking action, she placed her own feet above his, causing him to choke on his chapati.

"Are you okay, sir?" she asked innocently, blinking her eyes. Dhruv nodded, taking a sip of water, only to slowly realize her feet were actually above his.

He stole a glance at Kiara, catching her smiling while she ate. When she noticed him looking, she playfully raised her eyebrows. "Do you need something, sir?" she asked, mischief dancing in her eyes.

Unbeknownst to her, her playful gesture had left Dhruv a bit flustered. He cleared his throat and shook his head, trying to regain composure. Kiara couldn't help but smirk, enjoying his embarrassment.

"You were trying to mess with me," she muttered to herself, glancing to her left and noticing Reshmi equally blushing and flustered.

She narrowed her eyes on her before continuing to eat. Dhruv felt her feet, noticing their softness and small size. He attempted to move his feet away, but Kiara applied more pressure, preventing him from shifting them.

He looked over at her again. "Did you like the food, Dr. Sehgal?" Shanvi inquired, smiling warmly at him, diverting his attention. "Yes, it's delicious," he replied. Shanvi chuckled softly. "Kiara actually prepared it all, except the tea - that was Reshmi's creation," she informed him.

"Ah, I absolutely loved the tea!" Vikram exclaimed, hastily taking a sip, prompting laughter from everyone.

"muṭṭāḷ !" Reshmi said, shooting a glare at Vikram.

"Hey, in English please!" Vikram requested, smiling softly at her.

"Stupid!" Reshmi translated, making his smile vanish in a second.

Kiara chuckled, her feet unconsciously putting more pressure onto Dhruv's. As they resumed eating, she sensed a feet brushing against hers. Perplexed, she looked at Dhruv but his feet were beneath hers.

Wondering whose feet were touching hers. She peered under the table and discovered it was Vikram's leg; he was attempting to locate Reshmi's leg but unintentionally brushed against Kiara's instead.

"Such a fool," she muttered quietly, swiftly withdrawing her feet from Dhruv's, prompting him to look at her in surprise. He frowned slightly, as he had been enjoying the sensation of her feet resting on top of his.

She glanced at him and offered a gentle smile while silently mouthing the word 'sorry.'

Once she finished cleaning and washing the dishes, Kiara emerged from the kitchen, wiping her hands. Vikram and Reshmi had left to buy ice cream, while Shanvi had to rush to her office for some urgent work.

Spotting Dhruv engrossed in some paperwork, she smiled at the memory of his reaction when she had rested her feet on his. She approached him slowly. "What are you working on, sir?" she inquired, taking a seat beside him.

Dhruv glanced at her briefly before returning his attention to the files spread out before him. "Reports of a patient," he responded, flipping to the next page. Kiara nodded and noticed a book on the table. She reached for it slowly, but as she did, Dhruv swiftly caught her wrist.

"It has something personal," he stated, attempting to sound firm, but Kiara only smirked in response. "Is that so?" she remarked, while her other hand moved toward the book. Dhruv acted swiftly, grabbing the book before she could reach it, holding it out of her reach.

Kiara pouted, disappointed by Dhruv's protective stance regarding the book. She couldn't resist the temptation and leaned in closer, trying to sneak a peek at the title, inadvertently shifting closer to him in the process.

"Come on!" she pleaded, leaning forward in an attempt to reach the book, while Dhruv leaned farther back to prevent her from grabbing it. Just as she was about to seize the book, she slipped, causing her to tumble onto Dhruv's lap.

Kiara gasped, quickly covering her mouth in surprise, her eyes widening as she glanced at Dhruv, who appeared just as startled. In the midst of their shock, the book slipped from his grasp, landing on the floor with a thud that made both of them flinch at the unexpected noise.

They were so close that their heartbeats almost synchronized, and Kiara could sense his warm breath. Dhruv found himself just gazing at her, his hand unconsciously moving toward her thigh before gently placing it there.

Kiara let out a shaky breath and break their eye contact, she attempted to stand but slipped again, this time landing slightly higher on Dhruv's lap, eliciting a surprised cry from him. "I-I'm so sorry, are you alright?" she hurriedly got up and reached out, placing a hand on his shoulder, noticing Dhruv clutching his side in discomfort.

"I'm.... I'm good..."

As Kiara was about to ask Dhruv again, a sudden knock on the door interrupted their unexpected moment. "We're here!" Vikram's enthusiastic voice echoed from the other side. Kiara quickly glanced at Dhruv, a blush tinting her cheeks, before making her way towards the door to open it.

She swung the door open to find Vikram and Reshmi standing there with bags of ice cream. "What took you guys so long?" Kiara asked, trying to appear nonchalant.

Vikram grinned mischievously. "We got lost in the ice cream aisle, couldn't decide between chocolate or vanilla!" he said, holding up two different tubs, one in each hand.

Reshmi rolled her eyes playfully. "Typical Vikram indecisiveness," she teased, nudging him gently. Kiara chuckled at their banter, grateful for the interruption.

As the others entered the room, Dhruv subtly adjusted himself and tried to look unfazed, though a faint pink hue lingered on his cheeks from their unexpected closeness. He busied himself with rearranging the papers on the table, trying to regain his composure.