70 | Love or Family?

Kiara anxiously paced as the doctors attended to her father. Vikram and Reshmi, who had followed them to the hospital, waited in the corridor.

The doctor approached Kiara, her expression somber. "Your father had a cardiac episode. We're stabilizing him now, but he needs rest and further evaluation."

Kiara nodded, her expression reflecting concern. As her eyes met Dhruv's, who had remained in the corner despite her mother's hurtful comments, he noticed her gaze and offered a reassuring smile.

A lump formed in her throat as she took a deep breath. Looking at her mother sitting on the bench, Kiara summoned courage before approaching Dhruv. Standing in front of him, she asked gently, "How are you so calm? Don't you have self-respect? My mom said terrible things to you… It might not bother you, but it bothers me. I can't stand someone disrespecting you," she said, her hands tightly clenched.

Dhruv, still maintaining his composure, gently smiled at Kiara before softly wiping the tears away from her cheeks. "Kiara, I understand your concern, and I appreciate your support. What matters to me right now is your father's well-being. I can handle the rest."

Kiara sighed and shook her head. "But it's not fair. You don't deserve to be treated like that."

Dhruv looked deeply into Kiara's eyes, his voice soft but unwavering. "Love, life isn't always fair, and sometimes people react out of fear or misunderstanding..."

Kiara sighed, "I just wish they could see what I see in you. You've been my pillar of strength, my support, and you've made this day so special despite everything."

A tear rolled down Kiara's cheek, and Dhruv wiped it away with his thumb. "I never imagined such a beautiful day turning into this," she confessed, her voice trembling.

The doctor, returning to the corridor, approached Kiara and Dhruv with a more reassuring expression. "His condition is stable now. We will continue monitoring him, but he needs plenty of rest. You can visit him shortly."

Relief washed over Kiara as she thanked the doctor. Turning to Dhruv, she whispered, "I'll go see him."

Dhruv nodded understandingly, “hey, love, try not to talk about our matter, he is still weak. Don’t put more pressure on him, okay?” He whispered softly before walking towards the doctor for a conversation, while Kiara walked over to her mother.

Kiara approached her mother, who sat with a mix of worry and exhaustion on her face. "Mom, Papa needs us now," she said softly, attempting to bridge the emotional gap.

Her mother glanced up, her eyes revealing a combination of concern for her husband and unresolved tension. "I didn't expect all this drama today. I thought it would be a happy occasion," she admitted, her tone a mix of frustration and sadness.

Kiara took a deep breath, “please, let's focus on Papa right now. We can discuss everything else later."

Her mother sighed, seeming torn between her emotions and the current situation. "Your father's health is more important, I agree. But this doesn't mean I accept everything without question," she stated firmly.

As they entered the hospital room, Kiara saw her father resting, looking frail yet determined. Kiara slowly walked towards him and held his hand. Her father looked at her with a pained expression. "Kiara, sit here," he requested, patting the space beside him and she did.

"Papa, are you feeling better?" she asked, trying to hide her worry.

He nodded, taking a deep breath. "You know, I've always wanted the best for you, right? I've watched you grow into a wonderful young woman, and I'm proud of the person you've become," he began, his words carrying a weight of sincerity.

Kiara nodded, a gentle smile forming on her lips.

"But, this relationship with Dhruv... it's causing a lot of tension, not just with your mother but also within myself," he admitted, looking away.

"Papa, I love him. He's been there for me, supporting me through thick and thin," Kiara replied earnestly.

"I don't doubt his intentions, Kiara, but our society has certain expectations and norms. This relationship is causing strife, and I'm worried about how it might affect our family's reputation," he explained, his eyes filled with a sense of helplessness.

Kiara took a deep breath, her eyes welled up. "Papa, why does society's opinion matter more than my happiness? Why should I sacrifice my love for this so called society?"

"Papa, times have changed. People are more accepting now. Vikram married Reshmi from a different caste, and they are happy. Why can't you see that love is beyond societal norms?" Kiara pleaded, her voice carrying a mix of desperation and anger.

“Papa, I love you, and I want you to be a part of my happiness.… You need some rest now. We'll talk more about this later."

She tired to pulled her hand back but her father tightened the hold, “if you ever thought of us as your family, then cut ties with him completely. If you can't do that, pretend your parents are dead.”

Kiara looked hurt when her dad spoke. She quickly glanced at her mom, who quickly looked away from her. A tear rolled down Kiara's cheek, "papa, I can't cut ties with Dhruv ji. He means a lot to me," she pleaded, her voice tinged with emotion.

Her father sighed, his gaze meeting hers. "Kiara, for the sake of our family, for my health, I'm asking you to end this relationship with Dhruv."

Tears welled up in Kiara's eyes as she grappled with her father's request. "Papa, please understand. I can't imagine my life without Dhruv ji. I can't just let him go," she whispered, her voice breaking.

“So you're ready to leave your parents?”

⚕️

“Main toh kehta hoon utha lo jaise Maine Kiya tha,” Vikram said, aggressively taking a bite of his burger. Reshmi nodded in agreement.

Kiara looked at Dhruv, his smile catching her attention. "How can you stay so carefree? Have you ever truly loved me?" she asked, her voice filled with emotion. Dhruv sighed gently, reaching out to gently caressed her cheek.

"Dil se kehta hoon, Kiara, main tumse bohot pyaar karta hoon," Dhruv said, his eyes reflecting sincerity.

He continued, "I want to build a future with you. If you decide to prioritize your family's wishes, I'll respect that too. My love for you goes beyond everything, and I'll support whatever choice you make."

"It's not that simple. I can't bear the thought of losing you, but I can't see my family suffering either."

Dhruv nodded understandingly, "I know, Kiara. It's a difficult situation, and I don't want to add more stress to your already burdened heart.”

"Even though I might want to marry you right away, I understand the importance of taking you with respect. I want  to adorn the sindoor in the parting of your hair and place the mangalsutra around your neck, all in front of everyone, with utmost respect.” he added, his voice gently and calming.

“Aye haye, kya kaha hai bhaiya apne…”

"Why didn't this idea pop into your mind when you were kidnapping me from my wedding?" Reshmi said, arching her eyebrows at Vikram.

Vikram's expression twisted at her comment. "Imagine me explaining all this to your appa, Chandramukhi. I'd be risking my neck, and you'd end up marrying that bald-old man," he chuckled, rolling his eyes.

They all turned their gaze towards Kiara, who was still tearful. Vikram, trying to lighten the mood, gently said, "Come on, have this burger, it might make you feel better." He extended the burger towards her, but Kiara, with a glance, turned away, surprising Vikram.

"Did you just reject the burger? Wow… pata hai bhaiya jab ab America Jane wale the tab bhi isne chocolate cake chod diya tha aapke liye aur aaj extra cheese burger bhi chod rahi hai.”

Dhruv took a deep breath, gazing at Kiara. "Kiara, do you love me?" he inquired. Kiara met his gaze, responding softly, "Must I really respond to such a stupid question? Of course, I love you." Dhruv smiled, gently brushing strands of hair from her face. "Trust me, I'll work to win over your parents' hearts.” Dhruv reached for Kiara's hand, intertwining their fingers.