58 | Shocking truth.

Kiara tenderly tended to Dhruv's injured jaw, her sniffles accompanying the tears streaming down her cheeks. Dhruv sighed softly, wiping away her tears with a gentle smile.

"Please don't cry; I'm okay," he reassured, holding her hand gently. Kiara pulled away, closing the first aid box with force.

"How can you say nothing happened? Your jaw is bruised and discolored. Why did you even get into a fight?”

"Kiara, he was about to touch you!"

"It doesn't matter!"

"But it does. You're important to me, and I can't bear the thought of anyone treating you disrespectfully. I want to protect you from anyone with impure intentions," he expressed calmly, a frown on his face.

"What if he hurt you badly? Hmm?" She stammered, lowering her head as a soft sob escaped her. Dhruv closed his eyes briefly before gently wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her into his lap.

"Nothing happened, okay? I managed to handle it, even gave him a good beating. You see, I'm strong. Just be happy you have a boyfriend who can protect you," he said playfully, earning a playful smack on his chest from Kiara.

Kiara tenderly touched his jaw, planting a soft kiss on it. "Please, never do that again. I love you," she whispered, her words against his jaw prompting him to take a deep breath before slowly nodding in agreement.

"Now, how about a kiss?" He asked, turning to face her slowly. Kiara met his gaze, then shifted her attention to his lips. "What if I say no?" she whispered, still fixated on his lips.

"Then I won't kiss you, and I'll be a little sad," he mumbled, glancing away. Kiara smiled tenderly, cupping his face and gently turning it toward her. She pressed a slow peck on his lips and observed Dhruv, who responded with a smile, his eyes closed in contentment.

"Can I have another one, please?" he requested.

Kiara was poised to kiss him again when the doorbell rang, startling them both. He frowned slightly, glancing at the door. "I'll check it," Kiara offered, starting to stand up when Dhruv stopped her, "I'll check it," he said and headed towards the door.

Dhruv peered through the peephole, spotting Sameer with a lady in his arms. His frown deepened, and he swiftly opened the door for them. "Mr. Sameer—"

"Save her, please..." Sameer pleaded, his voice breaking slightly. Dhruv's eyes widened as he looked at the unconscious Shanvi in Sameer's arms.

Kiara's eyes widened as she looked at Shanvi, rushing towards them. "Shanvi! What happened to her?" she asked, tears welling up again. Sameer closed his eyes in frustration, urging, "Treat her first; I'll explain everything, please," almost shouting in urgency.

Dhruv nodded, leading them to the guest room with Sameer following closely. Gently placing her on the bed, Sameer knelt in front of her, his bloodied hands tenderly caressing her cheeks. "We're here, love. You'll be okay," he whispered reassuringly.

Kiara listened to Sameer in silence with a confused frown on her face, her concern evident as her best friend was in danger. "Kiara, cover her with the duvet, keep her warm," Dhruv directed, busy with preparing bandages. She nodded and gently covered her friend with the duvet, holding and rubbing her hand to provide comfort.

Witnessing the blooded arm, Kiara's eyes widened in shock. "How did this happen? Mr. Sameer!" she exclaimed, the worry apparent in her voice. Sameer, overwhelmed, groaned, "Can you please shut your mouth and treat her wound!" he yelled.

Dhruv, protective of Kiara, glared at Sameer. "She has the right to ask about her; Shanvi is her best friend—"

"And she is my wife! Save her first... Please!" Sameer implored urgently.

"What?"

"I... I'll tell you everything, just not now..."

Dhruv sighed before focusing on her wound, grateful that the bullet had only grazed her arm.

Dhruv carefully loosened the cloth tightly bound around her wound. "Did you tie the cloth?" he asked, glancing at Sameer, who nodded in agreement, his gaze still fixed on his wife.

"You did great," Dhruv whispered as he began cleaning the wound with a cotton pad and water. Shanvi winced in pain, and Sameer nervously spoke up, "Can you do that slowly? She's in pain."

Dhruv glared at him, responding sharply, "I'm not in the hospital, Mr. Sameer. I'm doing my best," before continuing his task with care.

"Kiara, could you pass me the antibiotic cream?" he asked, reaching out his hand. Kiara sniffed softly before handing him the ointment.

Once the wound was dressed and a clean bandage applied, Dhruv positioned a pillow under her arm. He then turned to Sameer, his gaze intense. "You have a detailed explanation to provide. Start," he demanded with a sharp focus in his eyes.

Sameer sighed and settled onto the floor, lowering his head before meeting the eyes of Dhruv and Kiara. "We're undercover narcotics officers," he whispered, his nervousness evident as he licked his lower lip.

"Proof?" Dhruv inquired, raising his eyebrows skeptically. "I find it hard to believe you, I swear," he added with a tone of distrust.

Sameer nodded and took out his identity card. Dhruv quickly took it from him, inspecting it closely. "This isn't fake, right?" he questioned. Sameer chuckled in frustration before retrieving the card. "It's not," he confirmed.

Meanwhile, Kiara maintained her grip on Shanvi's hand, and with a puzzled expression, she asked, "So, you're not Dr. Mehra's secretary?" Her gaze shifted to Sameer.

"Arjun? Is there something related to Arjun?" Dhruv inquired, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

Sameer's eyes darkened as he responded, "He's a smuggler. Organ trafficking and drug dealing are what he does. He's not an innocent businessman or a good doctor. He is a criminal," Sameer sneered, clenching his fist tightly in frustration.

Kiara took a shaky breath, processing what he had just revealed. "What?" She couldn't believe it, her gaze shifting to Dhruv, who also appeared confused by the startling information.

"So, both of you are collecting evidence against Arjun?" Dhruv asked. Sameer glanced at him, a flicker of something in his eyes. Quickly, he pulled out his shotgun, pointing it in Dhruv's direction.

"You're not involved with him, right?" Dhruv questioned, prompting a gasp from Kiara. "Mr. Sameer—"

"I'm not!" Dhruv asserted, his voice dead serious. Sameer nodded in relief, maintaining eye contact with Dhruv as he holstered his gun.

Kiara breathed a sigh of relief before turning her attention back to her best friend. Dhruv rose from the bed and headed to the washroom to clean his hands.

"What about your names? Are they real?" Kiara's voice trembled a bit. Sameer nodded, "Our names are real, but our surnames are not," he replied, rising from the floor.

Dhruv returned from the washroom and looked at Kiara. "Are you hungry?" he asked. Though hungry, Kiara shook her head, refocusing on her best friend.

Sameer was about to take a seat on the couch when Dhruv interrupted, saying, "That's expensive; no bloodstains, please," giving him a stern look before heading to the kitchen.

Sameer, halfway to sitting, straightened up with a bored expression. He walked toward the bed, settling beside Shanvi. Leaning in, he gently placed a soft and lingering kiss.

Their moment was abruptly interrupted by a phone call, prompting Sameer to emit a frustrated growl. He retrieved his phone from the back pocket of his pants, expressing irritation as he glanced at the caller ID, “mother fucker,” he muttered  under his breath.

“Who is it?” Kiara asked.

"Arjun," he said in a measured tone, gesturing for Kiara to remain quiet. Answering the call, he placed the phone to his ear and nonchalantly said, "Yes, Dr. Mehra?" in a casual manner.

"Alright, I'll be there," Sameer said, ending the call. He turned to Kiara and said, "Please take care of her," to which Kiara nodded.

As Sameer prepared to leave, Dhruv returned from the kitchen with berries and nuts, wearing a frown. "Where are you going?" he asked. Sameer glanced at the nuts before taking a handful and replied, "To play the secretary again…”