60 | Lifting his mode.

While Dhruv was sorting through some files, a nurse urgently entered his office, breathless. "Dr. Sehgal, it's an emergency!" she exclaimed. Dhruv quickly set aside the files and followed the nurse.

As they hurried toward the operating theater, Dhruv observed another nurse tending to an injured man, with the rest of the nursing staff busy in and out of the operation theater.

Upon entering the emergency room, Dhruv was met with the sight of a young man, roughly twenty-three or twenty-four, with a severely damaged skull. Taking a deep breath, Dhruv steadied himself for the impending operation.

Dhruv, dressed in his surgical uniform, gently inquired about the situation, "Could you please update me on the patient's condition?"

A nurse responded, "Head trauma from a car accident..."

Understanding the urgency, Dhruv nodded and instructed, "Let's do a CT scan immediately." He received a chart from another nurse who quietly mentioned, "Vital signs are dropping, doctor."

Taking a deep breath, Dhruv turned to the surgical team, "We're dealing with a fractured skull and potential intracranial bleeding." The team acknowledged, and preparations for anesthesia began.

A nurse informed, "Dr. Sehgal, the patient's family just arrived. They're in the waiting room."

Dhruv paused briefly, acknowledging the family's presence, "Inform them that we're doing everything in our power to help."

The surgical team worked diligently, each member contributing with precision. Dhruv, while monitoring the CT scan, calmly stated, "We've identified bleeding. Let's address it, but we need to proceed with caution."

Concerned about dropping blood pressure, Dhruv advised, "Administer more fluids and closely monitor his vitals."

As the surgery progressed, the room filled with tension, with only the sounds of monitors beeping and machinery humming. After successfully addressing the bleeding, Dhruv sighed in relief, "Stabilize him. We're not out of the woods yet."

Hours passed with the team tirelessly working to repair the damage. Exhausted but maintaining hope, Dhruv stepped back and softly shared, "We've done everything we can. Now, we wait."

The room fell into a hushed silence as the medical team monitored the patient's vital signs, hoping for signs of improvement.

***

"Dr. Sehgal, I... I want to express my sincere condolences about the outcome."

"It's not your fault; we all gave our best efforts. I just wish there was more we could have done," he sighed, and Dhruv's eyes began to well up.

"Did I overlook something? Could I have made a different decision during the surgery?" He whispered to himself, slowly making his way out of the operating theater. As he looked up, he found Kiara standing there with a comforting smile.

"Dr. Sehgal, how was the operation?" She asked, approaching him with genuine concern written on her face.

Dhruv took a deep breath, lowering his head, and Kiara paused in her tracks as she observed the nurses and ward boys solemnly removing the patient's lifeless body.