33 | Two hearts.

"Kiara…?" Dhruv muttered her name under his breath, still gazing in the direction she hurried off to.

"Did you say something?" Arjun asked, frowning as he looked at Dhruv. Dhruv nodded absentmindedly without meeting Arjun's gaze.

"You didn't introduce me to the interns," Dhruv remarked, finally turning back to face Arjun. "What's the need to meet them?" he asked, shrugging slightly.

"They're part of this hospital, right?"

"Well, okay then. I'll ask Sameer to gather all the interns in the meeting room," Arjun suggested, rising from the table and checking his watch.

"I have a meeting to attend. I hope you can manage from here... If you need anything else, just call my secretary," Arjun said, smiling at Dhruv, who nodded before standing up as well.

"And Dhruv, don't forget, you have to have lunch at my place, alright!" Arjun said, smiling. Dhruv gave a small smile and nodded in agreement.

"Okay, I should leave now…”

As Arjun exited the cafeteria, Dhruv let out a shaky breath before heading out as well. He was looking at every corner of the hall, just in case maybe it was not his hallucination. Maybe she was here.

“Dr. Sehgal, I hope you're settling in nicely,” Sameer greeted him warmly. Dhruv nodded with a faint smile on his face.

“I have asked the interns to gather in the meeting room; they must be there by now. Shall we go?” He asked, his tone as polite as always.

"Absolutely, let's proceed," Dhruv replied to Sameer, eager to get acquainted with the interns and begin his journey in the hospital.

The hospital corridors bustled with activity, medical professionals darting back and forth, patients moving in and out of rooms, while the air carried the scent of medicine.

Approaching the meeting room, Dhruv's mind swirled with a flurry of thoughts, an amalgamation he struggled to comprehend.

Entering the meeting room, Dhruv closed his eyes shut before opening them slowly, he was met with a group of young, eager faces—interns ready to embark on their medical journey.

His heart skipped a beat upon noticing her—her long hair neatly tied back, she was wearing a white coat. Dhruv felt a surge of pride welling up within him; he was proud of her.

His gaze shifted back to her face; her eyes widened upon locking eyes with him, and gradually, her beautiful doe-like eyes began to glisten. Inhaling deeply, he bit his lower lip, striving to contain his overwhelming emotions.

"Kiara," Dhruv muttered again, more to himself this time, feeling a mix of strange emotions—the same feelings he had experienced when he saw her running towards him at the airport.

He tried to smile at her but stopped when she looked away from him; it hurt him so much, but it's not her fault. He slowly walked towards the stage and stood upon it.

"Good morning, everyone," Dhruv greeted warmly, his gaze softening as he addressed the group of interns. "I'm Dr. Dhruv Sehgal, and I'll be joining this hospital as part of the surgical team."

He glanced at Kiara, a mix of emotions swirling within him, but he continued with a composed tone. "I'm looking forward to working with all of you and sharing experiences in this incredible journey."

Kiara stole a glance at Dhruv, a faint hint of longing flickering in her eyes, but she quickly averted her gaze, focusing intently on the notepad in front of her.

"As we begin, I encourage open communication, collaboration, and a dedication to learning," Dhruv continued, trying to maintain a professional demeanor despite the rush of emotions inside him.

He took a moment, noticing the enthusiasm in the interns' eyes, before concluding, "Let's strive for excellence together. Thank you."

As he stepped away from the podium, Dhruv caught Sameer's eye, signaling that the meeting was over. With a nod, Sameer gestured for the interns to disperse.

The interns started to leave one by one. Kiara could feel his eyes on her but she didn't look up, even for a second; her heart was thumping at an inhuman pace, as if it might burst open her rib cage.

As the last intern filed out of the room, Kiara hesitated, lingering behind for a moment. She felt a magnetic pull, a force urging her to steal a glance at Dhruv. Her heart fluttered erratically, as though caught in an emotional whirlwind she couldn't escape.

Dhruv stood there, a gentle warmth in his eyes, as he watched the interns leave. When he turned his gaze towards Kiara, a soft, tender smile graced his lips.

The air crackled with an unspoken connection between them, a shared history hovering between stolen glances and fleeting moments. Dhruv took a step in Kiara's direction, wanting to bridge the invisible gap that separated them.

"Kiara," he called out softly, his voice carrying a blend of fondness and unspoken emotions. She hesitated for a moment before meeting his gaze.

"I'm glad to see you here," Dhruv said, his tone warm and genuine.

"How have you been?" He added.