Chapter 7-Closure and Birthdays

Continuation of 3x14 "Damaged"

It was now morning and they were all driving to the house. Ryan was riding with Emily while Morgan and JJ were riding with Rossi. The drive was mostly silent as they were all still waking up and preparing to talk to the kids of the murdered parents. 

Emily stole a glance at Ryan as she drove. Still wondering she decided to ask "Hey Ryan, what was Rossi talking about back there in the bar, when he said you didn't have a leg to stand on in the obsession department?" Ryan sighed, he knew she would probably ask. " Emily one day I will tell you but before then there will need to be a lot of alcohol in front of us. " 

Emily took the hint and didn't press further. She just hope that whatever it was, Ryan would be able to talk about it soon. 

Arriving at the house they got out of the car, it looked like the eldest daughter Ryan thinks was coming out to meet them. Rossi started to talk "Hey Connie, I brought the team-" but Connie cut him off. "You need to stop this." Connie exclaimed. Rossi did stop "Excuse me?" 

 Connie went on "We thought it we didn't call you back the last couple times you would just give up and leave us alone." At her words Ryan looked down he couldn't blame them for feeling this way, it's normal to want to move on after a while and then of course someone comes back and wants to have you relieve it.

"Well, I know that it hurts, but I'm only trying to make sure someone pays for your parents death." Rossi replied trying to comfort Connie. Connie shook her head in response "We don't care anymore. It's been 20 years. We need to be able to move past it. Please!" 

 Rossi looked troubled yet content. Seeing what his obsession was doing to Connie to the kids he nodded. "I won't bother you kids again." With that they all started to go back to their cars until Connie spoke up "And you'll stop with the gifts too?" That stopped Rossi and the team in their tracks. "Gifts" Rossi turned to Connie with a questioning look. 

 "What are we supposed to do with a bunch of toys? They remind us of the worst day of our lives." Connie said not realizing the look of bewilderment on Rossi's face. Rossi's face then turned into horror with realization. "I never sent you any gifts." After that they all went into the house. 

The kids brought all the toys out into the living room for the team to look at team gifts. "This is it?" Rossi asked, Georgie the son responded "It's all we could find." "We threw some of them away." Alicia the other daughter added on. 

 "I wish you would've told me about this." Rossi told Connie. "We thought you were sending them. First we kinda liked it, and then it just became a bad reminder." Connie responded and explained. Ryan didn't blame her, of course she would've thought it was Rossi. How could they have guest that the killer was sending them these. 

The team examined these the toys. "These are incredibly cheap aren't they?" Prentiss asked. Morgan nodded "Where would you even but toys like this?" He asked. Ryan responded " No where I'd shop, whenever I get the kids a new toy the places I go to make them far better than how these one's are. " The toys were incredibly horrible in style, these are the type of toys that would creep a person out except maybe for little kids. 

JJ took pictures of the toys "Why would you even but toys like this?" She asked. That was a good question. All Ryan knew was that he wouldn't buy Tyler or Emma toys like this. 

 "How did you receive them?" Rossi asked the kids. "They were usually left at the porch at night. Mine was found in my car this time." The team all shared looks knowing what this meant. "So he's following you." Rossi deduced, Connie eyes widened with realization "There was a pickup outside the-uh, where I work. I just....I always thought it was you."