Chapter 111

Blair POV

I wiped my forehead and took a huge drink of water, then checked my body out in the floor-length mirror.

My usual sports crop top and gym shorts were very snug.

The hormone injections I had to take to harvest eggs were pretty strong, and I had actually gained weight on purpose for the first time in my life.

While I had always been confident in my body, usually a size 4, mainly because I had proudly worked hard in keeping a slim toned yet curvy physique, the new extra pounds were new to me and I was still getting used to the extra boobs and booty.

I investigated my newly formed cleavage, I had been suddenly bumped from a healthy handful that was a C cup to a very large DD, the bonus was I didn't have to get a boob job  I wanted to get that I had been arguing with Marshall about, but the curse was the new addition of stretch marks.

The only thing that had annoyed me was that all my current clothing was quite tight on me, much to Marshall's delight.

I was brought back to reality when my phone rang.

Reaching down I answered it immediately when I realized it was the fertility doctor.

"Hello? Blair Speaking"

"Hi Blair, hope you are doing well, I am calling to make an appointment about an update that causes a complication in the process, the sooner we discuss the better"

Complication?

"I'm actually away from Detroit for two weeks, are we able to discuss over the phone?"

She hesitated on the other end "Well it's a little sensitive, but it's something we really need to work out as soon as possible"

My stomach flipped.

"Please, just say what it is"

"The test results came back from your egg retrieval, out of the 10 we retrieved, only 4 are fertile, which means we have limited your sister, her results have come back as unsuccessful candidate for your surrogacy, I'm sorry Blair but it's just not worth the risk, we have limited eggs and we need to find a new surrogate with a better chance of the egg implanting" She paused for a minute then continued "I have a list of people who are already vetted and security checked, I will send you the information, please speak with Marshall, and then call me to make an appointment, and Blair, please try not to worry, I made a promise I intend to keep, it's just a little longer than originally planned"

I sat down slowly, winded, like I had been punched in the chest "Ok, Thankyou for letting me know"

She said her goodbye and hung up the phone.

Before I had a moment to even take a breath, I started shoving everything into my gym bag, ready to head up to the suite.

I see the doors open and Marshall walks into the empty gym as I walk towards him, his face dropping to concern "Baby?"

I silently walk past him and he follows me to the doors, through the hotel foyer and up to our suite.

Once inside the suite, I drop my gym bag on the floor, and then my body gives in, Marshall catching me just in time as I fell, my emotions erupting and tears flowing down my face.

"Ay baby, what the fuck happened??" Marshall said, panicked tone reaching through as he pulled me into his arms and carried me to the sofa "What's going on??"

My tears fall harder as I look for words that I don't want to say.

"The fertility doctor called, I only have 4 fertile eggs, and Allison isn't suitable for surrogacy, she wants me to find someone else because she doesn't want to risk the eggs"

"Hey listen, everything's going to be ok"

"It's not, I don't know why my hopes are so high"

Marshall Sighs "Look, we were told it wasn't going to be easy, granted they didn't warn us it was going to be this hard, but it is what it is baby"

I sobbed into his hoodie for a moment, inhaling his familiar scent, before rolling my head to his shoulder and looking up at him.

He wipes my tears and picks my chin up with his fingers "We start with finding a new surrogacy, and we go from there"

"But it's taking so long, and it felt so close yet it still feels so far away, I step forward then 20 back"

"I know baby, I would love nothing more to put a baby in you the traditional way, and it kills me that it can't just be that easy for us" Marshall sighed heavily as he pulled me back into his embrace "I know it feels like that, that it's the further way thing from your reach, but look at it this way, the outcome is worth the wait, so, let's go back to the start, and take it one step at a time"

I nodded slowly into his warm chest, feeling his beard tickle the top of my cheek.

This road has been a hard one, and I'm aware that the extra hormones heightened my emotions, but I had done everything I could, I had quit drugs, limited my drinking, ate an incredibly healthy diet for what seemed like the first time on my life and also tried to minimize the stress of my workload.

It was the one thing out of my control and it just wasn't fair.

"I've got a proposal for you, not sure how you're going to feel but you'll definitely be perfect for it" Marshall said suddenly.

I sat back and looked at him wiping my face "What's that?"

"Well, it's about your job" He paused for a moment and then reluctantly continued "I've been thinking, while I know you love your job, an opening on the board for the Marshal Mathers Foundation opened up, and I was thinking you'd be perfect for the role, you'll be helping a lot of disadvantaged kids, you'll be in charge of helping run the foundation going into the public and stuff... Paul's better with the details but you know I thought..."

I stared at him with my mouth agape "You want me to help run it?"

He nodded slowly "Only if you want to"

I threw my hands around him.

This was huge, this meant so much just coming from him, the foundation was something he held close to his heart.

"Of course, I'll do it, Marshall, It would be an honour"

He smiled at me coyly "That's great, I feel better knowing someone like you is helping run it, you've got the heart to help me ensure we're doing everything right"

I snuggled into him again while he stroked my head.

My heart still aches for my own.

And while I loved being a lawyer, and giving it up would be hard but this was the change I needed, to give me purpose and to focus on something truly important, those kids needed us.

This is what I needed to refocus on after the bad news today, and the one step closer to starting again.

I only hoped I didn't let anyone down, especially Marshall.