Chapter 33

Blair's POV

This Feeling
- The Chainsmokers Feat Kelsea Ballerini

I pulled the oversized jacket around me as I crossed the road and walked towards the cafe, the sharp cold Detroit wind was whipping my hair against my face.

I internally cheered for myself that I had worked last night and that I wasn't hungover.

I was meeting my mom for lunch, and I needed whatever shred of sanity that was holding on still intact, I had been avoiding the inevitable and telling her, she had been upset I had been refusing to come to see her and my father.

I couldn't bring myself to step foot in the house I grew up in, not anymore.

I walked in the door immediately spotting her, sitting in a corner booth, reading over the menu.

I felt guilt shoot through me, she didn't know and I was punishing her.

Three people on my life knew.

Marshall of course.

I blurted it out drunk to Colson.

And Kelsey, she was there, the day Marshall carried me inside our apartment when I was hysterical, to grab clothes to take back to his, because he refused to leave me alone with anyone else.

Marshall and Kelsey got into a fight, I only remember parts of that day much like a lot of things recently, it's still all a fogged blur, but I remember fragments, they argued for a while over where I should stay, Marshall relentless, accusing Kelsey of band-aiding the situation with drugs and alcohol.

He then said he would be coming for her the day he got the call, and to watch herself.

I'm still unsure what he meant by that, but I knew he always clashes with her.

My mom looked up and smiled at me as I took my coat off and slid into the booth.

"Hi Ma"

"Oh Blair, you have no idea how good it is to see you, I've missed you so much"

"I know, and I'm sorry, I've been going through things"

"Is it about Marshall? Are you going ok?"

I laughed, I had almost forgotten he was meant to be my fake boyfriend.

"No, he's fine, busy, but fine"

"Oh that's good, your father and I really liked him, despite his music, he's an absolute gentleman"

I snorted.

The man is a brilliant actor.

"He sure is, Look Ma, I have news, I'm not even sure how to tell you.."

She clapped her hands and grinned "You're pregnant?!"

That hot blade cut through my heart again, I swallowed even though my mouth was dry, I tried to inhale to try and avoid the tears that threatened to fall in a public place.

"Blair darling are you ok?"

"No"

"Well, go on, tell me sweetheart"

"I'm not pregnant" I said as my mouth felt like it filled with the taste of venom "Nor will I ever be"

My mother looked at me confused.

"I can't have children"

My soul was on fire and I thought I was about to self combust as the knife twisted inside my body.