Chapter 82

Marshalls POV.

I out the velvet box in my desk drawer with the notebook and locked it.

I wanted to do it, but I needed the right time.

It had taken months to pick out the perfect jewelry for her, I had a few close people sworn to secrecy that had to be involved in my search.

But finally, I got the call while we were in LA and I picked it up today, and man, if she doesn't like it, I was for sure going back to the jeweler and making him fucking eat every carat because this whole search alone has given me insomnia and put me near on the verge relapse.

Just kidding.

For real though, if she doesn't like it I'm gonna still gonna make him eat it.

I locked the drawer and got up locking the office.

I had planned to have it hidden at home but I couldn't risk it blowing up in my face, I just know that nosey bitch would come across it.

I snorted to myself knowing full well Blair would find it.

Just just how far liked to fuck with me.

I felt bad though, it wasn't like I was cheating or anything, but I felt kinda felt dirty sneaking behind her back.

The ring, the paperwork, I'm in deep, I just hope she says yes after this.

My phone rang and it was Allison.

"Yeah?"

"Blair was right, you have the worst phone etiquette" Allison laughed "So I just wanna know when you're free, I can meet at the studio if you want?"

"Uh, next week, say Thursday?, Blair works late so there's no clashing, also, did you speak to Rose?"

"Yes Marshall, I've sent you through her number, she's awaiting your call later"

The nervous feeling started to fade,

I was trying to arrange a trip to see Blair's parents and grandma without her and it was proving to be difficult as she normally came places with me, it was going to be midweek when I knew she wouldn't be able to get time off.

"Alright, thanks, I'll see you Thursday, come by after 4"

"Not a problem, have a good night" Allison said, then hanging up the phone.

I walked to my car climbing in before pulling m phone out again and scrolling through the contacts list and hitting call.

"Yo, Marshall, to what do I owe the pleasure?" The obnoxious voice came on the other line, I fought the urge to hang up.

"I'm gonna ask Blair to marry me, try not to be too heartbroken"

The line was silent.

"Kelly? You there?"

"Yeah man, I'm just... really?" He stuttered down the line, still in quiet shock.

"Yes asshole really, why is it so shocking"

"Fuck Bro... I mean, you did tell her at the beginning and she's kinda made her peace with it... the whole fucking world did, man, are you sure? I mean, nothing against your decision but I just don't want you to get cold feet and break her heart you know?"

I sighed, he has every right to have reacted like that, as much as I hated the guy, he had her heart in his best interest.

"Yeah, I'm sure, trust me, I've been thinking about doing it for months, look I'm gonna need your help..."

"So she really ain't ever gonna be a Baker in the future then huh? You're killing me Shady"

"Man I warned you, what can I say, I'm gonna write it in the prenup, the only way she gets any money is if she promises never to marry your stupid ass"

"You know she'll shove that down your throat trying to pull that shit" Colson chuckled on the other end, then got serious "So you're asking her to marry you, sure, but what if she wants to have children, have you thought of that?"

"I know, I know, I've been trying to find a solution, and I think I found one, because struts me, I want a child with her too, I want a family with her, after the whole loss and helping take care of our goddaughter Abby, After we lost the baby my mind was pretty set up on having a child already, but with Abby in our lives it's crystal clear I want that with Blair"

I couldn't believe I was saying all this out loud to Kelly of all people, but it felt good to share it, even if it was with my enemy "I've been looking into surrogacy, finding info so I can eventually give it to Blair after I propose"

"Shit man, you ARE serious" Kelly said in awe and then continued "I personally think that's a pretty dope idea, but like have you checked everything out man? like laws and shit? Your manager is a lawyer yeah? have you got anyone in mind? And the medical shit? What about making sure no one can like steal the baby? Are you writing this down Marshall? You need to be prepared bro, coz once you give her this option you know there's no going back"

"Are you really lecturing me on surrogacy right now?"

"One last thing, I want to be godfather, like for real, or I ain't signing up for this proposal" Kelly laughed down the line.

"I got it all covered, trust me, I just need to get her to say yes to marrying my ass first"

He snorted and I heard him inhale his joint.

"So, What do you need me to do?"

———

I sat at the kitchen table of Blairs family home surrounded by Richard, Charlotte, and Rose.

"Its beautiful Marshall" Charlotte cried holding the opened box with the ring in it "Blair is going to love it, I can't believe this is happening" She headed the box to Rose "Actually that's a lie, I can, you're perfect for each other!"

"I really appreciate that" I said, a smile breaking across my face that I could no longer hide.

"Well Marshall, I am grateful that you asked for my daughter's hand when you didn't have too"

"Just feel like Blair would appreciate some tradition you know? I wanna do right by her"

Richard smiled at me placing his hand on my shoulder "I couldn't have asked for a better man to marry my daughter"

"Oh Marshall dear I'm so happy for you both" Rose smiled handing back the box "Blair is going to be so happy, you did an amazing job of designing it"

I sat at the kitchen table of my girlfriends' family home, surrounded by her family, who had given me the blessing to propose to Blair.

Hell, I even had even had the blessing of her best friend, even though we were enemies.

After so many failed relationships in my life, I never thought I'd ever been here, at this point in life ready to get married again but here I was, slipping the ring box into my pocket.

Doing shit the right way.

Buying a ring, asking for her hand, proposing.

Damn, it only took until I was 48 years old.

But this time it felt so right.