6

Lan Zhan's POV

I'm sitting on the couch in my condo writing a new song when I hear a knock at the door. I get up and smile when I open it "AYuan come in."

I step back and he walks in smiling "Hi Dad, how are you?"

I clap him on the back lovingly "I'm good just been keeping myself busy with songwriting, you know how I get."

AYuan looks at me with unbridled excitement shining in his eyes "It's him dad, I know it's him."

I sigh "We've been through this many times before son"

He interrupts me "I know, I know but this time it's really him. Jingyi told us that he was reborn this time when we never got that message before finding one of his doppelgängers."

"True but that still doesn't mean that it's him, son, we still need to verify some things before we can say definitively that it's him."

AYuan blurts out "I met him" then looks at me with wide eyes.

I pause "What?"

He takes a deep breath "I met him, last night at that club down by Lan Technologies. I met him, I drank with him, I spent several hours with him. Jingyi, he's his best friend now, he was with him." He says with tears in his eyes.

I swallow hard "Are you sure it's him and Jingyi?"

Tears streak down his face he nods "I know my own soulmate, Dad, it's him, it's Jingyi. It feels just like it used to with him, everything feels the same. My soul recognizes his, Dad it's them I swear it. Being near Mom again felt warm and like I was home, you will feel it when you get close to him, you will understand when you see him."

I take my son in my arms and hug him, he's very overwhelmed with emotions right now, he's waited so long, we've all waited so long for him to return. My heart beats harder at the prospect that it could really be my long-lost husband. My hope that it really is him begins to soar, I want him back in my arms so badly.

I calm our son down and he smiles at me as I wipe his tears away. "I will do everything I can to bring him home to us alright?" I ask as I cup his face in my hands.

He nods still smiling, he goes to the bathroom and washes his face. We have lunch and I send him to Lan Tech to grab me a few things just in case it really is my Wei Ying. I feel jittery, I've had my hopes dashed several times over the years but AYuan is right, this is the first time that we were told that his soul was reincarnated. I want it to be him more than I've ever wanted anything in my life. He is all I have ever wanted, he is the only one I've ever wanted.

I try to calm myself down and get back to writing but my mind is full of thoughts of our lives together. I think about how wonderful our second life together was and how lucky I was to spend those years with him, watching him grow old and the heartbreak of watching him die a happy old man. Baoshan Sanren didn't find us in time to help him become immortal but she promised that he would be reborn and those who were around him through both lives would be around him when he is reborn. 

I have been waiting, endlessly playing Inquiry and speaking to the same three spirits, Cangse Sanren, Grandmother Wen, and Jingyi. They were the three who stayed with me to answer my one single question Has he been reincarnated yet? Until almost twenty-two years ago the answer was always the same, no, but the answer finally changed, Grandmother Wen finally answered yes. I have been waiting patiently ever since knowing that my Wei Ying is back in the world. I have been diligently searching for him and recently I found another of his doppelgängers but this one is different. He rarely goes out, he stays away from people, and he is weary of others.

My thoughts are interrupted by my cell phone ringing "Hello gege, how did your presentation go at the college?"

Xichen clears his throat "Wangji, are you busy? Can I come by your place?"

I smile "Of course you can, there is no need to call first gege, you are always welcome without an invitation."

He says "Great, I'm almost there, I'll make dinner."

I nod "Sounds great see you in a few, just come in I'll leave the door open."

We hang up and I walk into the kitchen to see what ingredients I have to cook with. After scrounging around for a while I find everything we need to feed the three of us since AYuan should be back fairly soon.

Xichen walks into the kitchen with a few bags of groceries and I laugh "I did find enough food to feed us gege."

He grins "Yes but I wanted to make something specific so I had to stop and decided to grab extra because I know you forget to shop when you are writing."

He sits the bags on the counter and we start emptying them and putting everything away except for what we are going to eat tonight.

"AYuan met him last night ge, he swears it's him and not only that but his best friend is Jingyi." I clasp my hands together on the breakfast bar.

Xichen turns and looks at me "Wangji" he starts but I interrupt him.

"I know, I shouldn't get my hopes up, it could just be another doppelgänger, but"

He interrupts me "Wangji I met him today, I think it's him too."

My vision gets blurry as tears pool in my eyes, my fingers dig into my hands and my jaw tightens as I try to reign in my emotions.

"Tell me about him gege."

Xichen smiles reassuringly "His name is Wey Xian, his older brother called him AYing so I'm guessing his birth name is Wey Ying."

I gasp lodges in my throat and my heart hurts with longing. A tear slips free to trail down my cheek which I quickly wipe away.

"Just as before he has a beautiful smile and is extremely intelligent. His professor went on and on about how smart and curious he is. He's more subdued than he used to be, it's fall but not very cool and yet he was wearing full clothes with very little skin showing, he raved about our liquid glove solution. From what I observed today he stays away from people for the most part only interacting with a few. I'm not sure if there is a phobia or what but that is something we can learn about him." He smiles at me.

I kind of half sob half laugh "It's really him this time, I get my bunny back."

AYuan walks in and sees us "What's going on? What's wrong Dad?"

I stand up and hug him "You were right it's really him."

We both shed tears of joy while Xichen wraps both of us in a hug. "We will finally get to bring him home" he whispers to both of us.

We all finally calm down and AYuan and Xichen cook dinner while I sit in a half daze, I snap out of it and look at them "How am I going to get close to him? If he doesn't come out much and isn't around people a lot, how can I meet him?"

AYuan grins "Jingyi, damn sorry, Cheng said that he has to go to a fundraiser tomorrow night with his family, Cheng seemed pretty upset about it but wouldn't say why. Anyway, he's supposed to be there all night, being a Lan should get us an invitation."

Xichen nods "Yes we actually have one of the Lan senior disciples going to represent Lan Technologies, you can go instead Wangji. That way you can decide if and when to approach him while you are there."

I nod smiling "I'll do that, I want to observe him first and I don't want to scare him or anything. I need to be able to control myself while I'm close to him."