41

Lan Zhan's POV cont.

We land an hour after take off and the car is waiting for us to disembark from the plane. I don't wake up Wey Ying, he needs to rest, so I pick him up when the attendant opens the plane door and puts the stairs down. I smile when I see a few of our elders have come to take us home "It's good to see you both, thank you for coming to get us."

They both bow "Of course Hanguang Jun." they look curiously at the man in my arms.

Before they can ask I nod and they both smile wide before opening the door for us to get into the back of the car, they grab the luggage and put it in the trunk. They climb into the car and we start our journey to Cloud Recesses. I look around as I hold my precious one in my arms and try to see the changes as if it were him seeing them. The last time he saw any of this was over two thousand years ago and it has changed a lot since then and yet there is still a feeling of familiarity. I nudge him to wake up because I know he will be upset with me if I let him get to Gusu without having seen any of the city. He slowly opens his eyes and when he sees we are in the car they widen and he smiles.

"We are almost home Lan Zhan, this is Caiyi Town?" he asks his eyes full of wonder as he looks out at the small city passing out the window.

I nod "Yes, it's a small city now but you can still see that we have kept some of the older style buildings, we just couldn't give up completely on the older style of architecture."

He grins "It's like a mix of the twentieth century and ancient China all rolled into one city. I'm glad you kept some of the older styles it's beautiful to see and makes me feel at home because like this city I am a mix of both."

He leans against my chest as he watches the buildings and people as we pass by until they become sparse as we travel closer to the mountain.

He giggles as he sees the mountain come into view "Lan Zhan there's a road winding up the mountain."

I look at him and grin "Yes, we had part of the mountain blasted and paved so that it's easier to get to Cloud Recesses since riding swords isn't something everyone here can do now. The stairs are still intact and in good repair, but they are seldom used now that we can drive to and from."

He notices the two men in the front seat of the car and clears his throat "I'm so sorry I didn't mean to be rude, Hello I'm Wey Xian."

Both men smile proud to have been acknowledged by Wey Ying "Greetings Wei Laozu, it's a pleasure to meet you, I am Lan Zihou, and this is Lan Wong."

Wey Ying snickers and looks at me quizzically, eyes wide.

I smirk and shake my head, meaning we will talk about it later.

He clears his throat "It's nice to meet you both, thank you for coming to pick us up."

They both smile "We were the lucky ones, it is our honor to be the ones to receive you first."

He again turns his eyes to mine with questions swimming in his gaze. My shoulders shake with amusement at his confusion.

I lean closer to him "Everyone in Gusu Lan Clan has been looking forward to the day I bring you home for a very very long time. Most of the ones who are not immortal have grown up listening to the stories about us. Everyone probably drew straws or something similar to be the ones to come and get you."

His mouth drops open and I chuckle the men in the front of the car both nod "There were indeed heated debates and finally a drawing to see who would come to get you Wei Laozu and Hanguang Jun."

The car pulls into the compound and parks, it looks like the entire clan has gathered to see him, they are all smiling and excited to be able to meet the one they have all heard so much about their whole lives.