Vɪsɪᴏɴᴀʀʏ

______________________________________

Luisa found out that Boyd was killed by the Alpha pack. Stiles ranting to her since Derek decided to disappear for two days. Since she was the one he ranted to, she was dragged along to Derek's loft so Stiles could talk to Cora.

Now, she sat at his table as Stiles paced and Cora looked out of the window. She was telling a story on how Derek and Peter had to hide from hunters some years ago.

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us... hide and heal." Cora says

"Okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway ?" Stiles says

"Why do you care ?" Cora says as she walks toward them

"Why do I care ?" Stiles repeats with raised brows, "Let's see... because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by alphas. I... do you want me to keep going ? 'Cause I can, all right ? For, like, an hour."

"You think Derek can do anything about that ?"

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah."

Cora leans on the table, "I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."

"What was he like ?" Luisa frowns

"A lot like Scott, actually." They hear. They look up and see Peter coming down the stairs. "A lot like most teenagers... unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

"And so what happened ? What changed him ?" Stiles asks as he stands by Luisa

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men... A girl. Two actually."

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart ? That's why Derek is the way he is ?"

"Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes ? Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes ?"

Stiles shakes his head shrugging, "I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing."

"If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes."

______________________________________

Ariane stood at her locker exchanging her books between classes. As she looks down into her bag, she hears a ball bouncing against the floor. Normally, she'd ignore that sort of thing, but as it got closer and louder, she knew who it was.

"Derek." She says simply

The boy smiles as he leans on the locker next to her. "Hey, Ariane."

Ariane had been introduced to Derek through their families and have been best friends ever since. Which was odd considering Derek's family were werewolves and Ariane's family were hunters.

It only worked because their mom's had been friends since they were kids. No matter what code there was, they stayed close and protected each other. Same thing applied to Ariane and Derek.

"Do you need something ?"

"What ? I can't just talk to my best friend ?"

Ariane looks over to him and his smile grows wider. "No because you always want something. What is it ?"

"I genuinely don't want anything." He shrugs. Ariane furrows her brows as she closes her locker.

"So, something happened because you would normally be with your basketball friends."

Derek chuckles as Ariane starts to walk away. He follows behind her, "We should hang out tonight. Do something fun."

"Something fun ?" She says with furrowed brows

"Yeah, you know. Go to the movies or something."

"What movie ?"

Derek shrugs, "Anything. We'll decide when we get there."

Ariane eyes him, "Fine."

"Cool." He nods. Ariane looks around as the bell rings.

"Bye, Derek." She says before she turns and walks off to class. He smiles as he watches her walk off before turning and walking back down the hall.

______________________________________

"So, Ariane and Derek were friends at one point in time ?" Stiles says

"More than that. They'd known each other since they were kids. Ariane liked Derek and Derek liked Ariane, but to Derek it would never work out."

"So, is that what made them hate each other now ?"

"No." Peter shakes his head, "It was when Paige came into the picture."

______________________________________

After finding out Derek was now dating this girl Paige, Ariane was heartbroken. She knew Derek had no idea she had feelings for him, but somehow she thought it would work out. Unfortunately, it didn't.

It was almost like Derek was taunting her. Everywhere she turned she saw them. Whether it was at school or out in public. Even when Ariane went to let off some steam by training in the woods, she would sometimes hear them walking through. Laughing and joking together. It was torture.

But as Ariane sat outside on the benches at school, all she wanted was for the world to swallow her whole. Her leg shook as she tried reading some random book that sat in her bag, but she couldn't focus on any of the words. No matter how hard she tried.

When someone sat beside her, her leg shook faster. She refused to look up because she knew exactly who it was.

"Ariane." Derek says

She ignores him as she turns the page. She definitely wasn't done reading, but she didn't care.

"I know you're not reading that." He says, but gets ignored again. "Ariane, please."

"I don't want to talk."

"Why ? What did I do ?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing ? We haven't spoken in days."

"I've been busy." She sighs

"Busy." He scoffs, "So then talk to me now."

"I can't."

"Why ?" He asks as she starts to pack her stuff up. "Ariane, come on."

"I just can't." She says

"What do you mean ?" He says as he watches her stand up

"I don't think I can be in your life." She snaps, "Not now and maybe not for a while."

"Ariane."

She keeps walking off as Derek sits there. His figure deflating as he looks around.

______________________________________