chapter 32

Letting go

Jake's P.O.V

Two weeks passed since she had been involved in a bad car accident and even though she moved her fingers, she wasn't making any progress that the doctors wanted to see. I had been told that the person responsible for her being here was arrested for driving while under the influence and was looking at a murder charge if she passed away.

Zak had agreed to keep Dylan until I got back home even though he brought her here to see her mother for a few minutes every other day and Colby had come to see her even though they had broken up over a year ago.

Colby: how is she doing?

Jake: I can tell she's in pain just by the expression on her face and the doctors can't do anything but keep her comfortable.

Colby: is she improving at all?

Jake: I would like to believe she is but the doctors say otherwise...

I wiped a tear from my eye and gently grabbed her hand...

Colby: you need to stay strong for Dylan.

Jake: Zak decided to keep her until I got things taken care of but it looks like I'm going to have to say goodbye to her...

Colby: she wouldn't want you keeping her alive if she's not going to recover from this

Jake: how do you say goodbye to the love of your life?

Colby: it's not going to be easy but she would want you to move on with your life.

I knew he was right but I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her but I did anyway. I had Zak bring Dylan so she could say goodbye to her mother and the others come with him, Corey and Sam were the first two to say goodbye to her followed by Devyn, she loved Cameron like a sister and it was hard for her seeing her in the condition she was in. I watched as Zak come in the room with Dylan and she immediately crawled into bed next to Cameron while Dakota and Aaron kissed her on the forehead and they all stayed in the room until the doctor unhooked her from the life support machine, the heart monitor quickly flatlined and I knew she was gone, I kissed her cheek while I held onto her hand, I never imagined that this would be the way I would have to let her go but I did and I knew Dylan didn't understand as she continued clinging onto her mother's neck.

I picked her up and watched as the people from the funeral home left the room with her body. I watched as they put her into a body bag and placed her on a gurney while we all walked outside with them.