five

It turns out that the trial was to be held the same weekend as the so-called 'ball.' I mean, it saved a trip, honestly, but it meant that I could go with Asra and hopefully worm my way into the meeting. I was a valuable witness, so why couldn't I?

I haven't mentioned my plans to my mate yet, unsure of his reaction.

I had taken part as being a leader back in Evermore. When our engagement was announced, they forced me to attend town meetings. We discussed measly things that held no interest to me; tax, supplies, wolf threats... I think I could speak one full sentence per meeting, Darius unhappy with me trying to actually take a role.

It was all a façade. I was just his accessory to becoming the leader. You couldn't rule the town if you were not married.

But here, in the wolf world, I hoped it would be different.

A few days later, I found myself awake and staring at the ceiling as I lay in bed. Asra was beside me, on his side, as he tried to sleep.

"Will we be visiting Evermore?" I wondered.

He sighed, rolling over to face me. "I am uncertain whether you should come."

I frowned, pulling the duvet taught around my chin. "Why? I grew up there."

"What if there is something bad there? What if him seeing you causes you to fall into his arms again?"

I paused, blinking past the disbelief. Asra was grimacing, seeming genuinely honest in his opinions. Despite that, I could help but guffaw, my laughter ricocheting off the quiet room.

"I would never, ever, never, ever go back to that man." I told him sternly.

Pressing my finger into his nose, his features softened.

He growled. "Good. Because you are mine."

"Correction, I am not all yours."

"Yet." He growled, rolling over, so he was above me. "Not all mine, yet."

"I am nobody's." I crossed my arms defiantly.

"Oh, yeah?" He cocked his head, leaning down so his face was inches from mine. "Are you sure about that, Tulip?"

I licked my lips, staring straight into his eyes. "Sure am."

He smirked, teasingly; mockingly. "Then I suppose I am no use to you."

Asra slid from my body, taking his hard, defined ass with him as he slid back under the covers on his back. His tone was haunting, expecting me to fall into his trap. Little did he know; it didn't bother me.

"Okay! Night!" I chirped, rolling over.

I heard him suck in a harsh breath as I tugged the duvet over my shoulder, snuggling my face into the pillow.

"Wait, what?"

"I said goodnight, Butterscotch. Do you need your ears checking?" I taunted, grinning into my pillow.

He growled at my teasing, but thankfully complied. "Goodnight, Tulip. We will discuss this in the morning. You are lucky I am tired."

I let out a hum of agreement, knowing he was only taunting me further. How can a man be tired, yet so eager to fuck?

"Night." I agreed, closing my eyes.

It was quiet as I drifted into sleep, but it didn't last long. Asra's sharp growl had a small smile gracing my face as he slid his body across the bed. I felt his front press into me, his arm forcing my head from the pillow as he pulled me against him, forcing his legs between mine. Using his thigh as a hip support and his bicep as a neck pillow, I got myself comfortable.