fifty six

Asra's sudden appearance during dinner was unexpected. He loomed over me, my forkful of pasta halfway to my mouth as I peered up at him. Chewing slowly, I held his gaze as he remained quiet. Only when I swallowed did his eyes drop to my throat, his pupils expanding.

"Can I help you?" I quipped, sipping my coke.

Oh, I was glad I chose a straw today.

"You have finished your shift." He stated, blinking oddly.

I frowned, wondering what kind of robot replacement this was. It needed a few more prototypes before being released because it sure was melancholy as hell.

"Good observation skills." I smirked.

"Come to my office."

"If you haven't already noticed, Mister Robot Alpha, I am eating."

His eyes dropped to my plate before flickering back to my face. His fists clenched at his sides, throat bobbing as he swallowed. Asra was acting strange, and I wasn't sure if I liked it.

"What's going on?" I scowled.

"Nothing." He was quick to answer. "I need to speak with you."

"What about?" I cocked my head.

"We found something."

My heart palpitated. "What?"

A small glimmer of a smirk lifted his cheek before it fell back into his weird, intense stare. "Meet me in my office."

Sir, yes, sir.

Asra turned and left without a word and for a second I just sat and stared at the place he disappeared. He had never been so robotic, and it made me wonder if this was how his pack members felt. It was unnerving to say the least, but I at least saw a glimmer of attraction every time I swallowed.

Oh, he wanted me.

Sucker.

Blinking back into the present, I ate my pasta as quickly as I could. Scurrying from the table like a rat, I placed my plate into one dishwasher and took my drink with me. Reaching Asra's office in no time, I let myself in, huffing as the door's weight made me nearly spill my drink.

"That was quick." Asra mused.

"Well, when a robot man tells you there's a discovery, you listen."

Asra's lips quirked before he typed something on his computer. I took that as my queue to move. Everett was sitting in a chair opposing him, and I greeted him softly as I took the seat beside him.

"Well? Spit it out then. This isn't a drama series."

The two of them shared looks, and I glanced between both nervously. It had only been a few days, and already they had me on edge with what it could be.

"Beta Flynn." Asra muttered.

"Yes?" I pressed when he didn't continue.

"Beta Flynn Thorne."

I blinked, freezing like a statue as they read my very own surname back to me. As I stared, dumbfounded, he spun the computer screen round for me to read. Alongside his name was his date of birth and his lack of relationship status. I blinked again, taking his surname into my mind.

"What does this mean?" I mumbled.

"It means you are related." Asra began. "But we are unsure how."

"How can you find out? Is there not a record?"

"Everything is missing. Those years surrounding your birth and childhood are not recorded." Everett explained.

My gaze drifted over to him, noticing how awkward he sat as he gave me my answer. "So now what?"