forty nine

"Where are we supposed to get a damn witch from?" I muttered.

Asra sighed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "I know of one."

I turned my attention to him, curious. "You do?"

He nodded, but remained silent. And it only made me more curious.

I knew Asra had some secrets of his past, and it made me wonder just how many types of creatures he was friends with.

We had left lunch with Bodhi about an hour ago, and were now lounging in our bedroom after packing up our things. The car was due to arrive in about thirty minutes to take us to the plane, and I was more than eager to climb aboard the magical death trap and go home. At least at home, I wouldn't be stared at like I was a brand new specimen.

"What are we supposed to do?" I wondered. "What's next, after this great revelation?"

"We keep it to ourselves." He sighed.

"Will you tell me what happened in the meeting before I arrived?"

"It was mostly a discussion of rogue tactics, border breeches, and power trips." He explained, blue eyes slithering to mine. "There are a few districts in other packs that are getting a little power hungry."

My eyes widened. "Human districts?"

He nodded. "The one and only."

"They're finally getting brave?"

"It seems so." He smirked. "You are not the only one fed up with the dogs ruling everyone."

I giggled, nudging him. "In all fairness, I hope nothing goes wrong and I hope after my rant the alphas think more ethically."

"You certainly opened my eyes, and even Bodhi was affected by what you said." He admitted.

"I thought I may have gone a step too far when mentioning family's being murdered..."

"I think it was just the right amount of threat." He squeezed my shoulder.

I smiled softly, my mind drifting back to the meeting. "The replacement alpha didn't say much..."

Asra scowled. "He is only temporary."

"Then why even attend?"

"Mandatory." He stated.

I huffed, pursing my lips as I lay deep in thought.

The thought of my very existence not even being what I thought it was... did not settle well. My stomach churned, my heart raced with the anxiety of not knowing what was going on.

Was I human?

Was I wolf?

Was I something else entirely?

My mother, my sister... Were they even my blood?

They smelt similar. Similar to what? As in species or family?

Family.

I jolted, remembering my mission earlier with Piper. "Where is Beta Flynn?"

"Beta Flynn? Why?"

"Is he still around?" I wondered.

"He lives in this town, so I would assume so." He shook his head. "What's going on in that head of yours?"

"Piper and I were about to find some stuff out." I explained. "We think Beta Flynn knows more than he lets on. He ran pretty quickly once he found out my name."

His eyebrows furrowed with a frown. "He did. What does Piper have to say about this?"

"She thinks Flynn knows who I am. The similarities between us are hard to ignore." I pointed out.