twenty one

It took the entire morning to show Arabella around the pack house. She had thankfully not woken until after my moment with Asra. It took that entire moment, plus a dual shower until she stirred. If it wasn't for Asra telling me she was awake, I would've happily gone for a round two right there in the shower.

"This is really the dining room?" Her eyes were wide.

"It took me a lot to take in, too." I laughed, offering her a plate. "Everything is large. The people, the buildings, the wolves..."

She swallowed nervously, but nodded. The dining room was fairly crowded, and I noticed most wolves would glance curiously but would not let their eyes linger for long. I had a protective streak, and whenever someone so much as looked at my sister too long, I stared them down.

Arabella had done well to even leave her room. She was braver than I; being dragged around a large house after being here less than twenty-four hours. A house full of wolves too, ones who she had yet to realise can literally smell everything. Every. Thing.

"I can take whatever I want?" She mumbled, staring down at the lunch buffet.

I nodded, already helping myself to my food. "My favourite is pasta. Like, everything pasta."

She eyed my plate curiously before scooping some for herself and then choosing another. I laughed softly, leading her to my usual table. Eve and Mya were not here since it was barely past twelve, and I did it purposely so Arabella could have some more time getting used to the quiet of the place. She ate tentatively, taking small bites of each flavour on her plate before going back to the one she liked the most.

"There are a lot of different things." She mumbled.

"They change it every day. There's always an option."

"Who are they?"

"Asra employs maids and cooks." I shrugged, trying to act like it didn't annoy me.

"Employs? He pays them? Wolves?"

"Wolves, humans, half-breeds... There's a maid called Serenity. She helped me get a low down on the laundry and cleaning supplies." I mused. "She is half-wolf, half-human. Her father is called George. He drives the taxi in town and he's human."

"Taxi? That's another type of vehicle, right? I read them in my books and I can only assume it is some kind of car." She frowned.

Our lack of education really showed.

"Yeah, he takes you places, and you pay him." I nodded. "Doesn't make the journey any easier... What did you think about the car journey here, anyway?"

She chewed her food slowly, placing her fork down when finished. "I wasn't a fan of feeling out of control. But when I was asleep, it didn't matter."

"That's exactly how I feel. Being in the front made it so much worse because I could see everything. My friends here make fun of me for it." I pouted.

"You made friends?" She cocked her head.

I scowled. "I am capable."

"No!" she giggled softly. "I didn't mean it like that. I mean, who are they?"

"Mya and Eve, they are sisters. My best friend is Piper, but she was only here to visit." I sighed. "Just don't tell Mya."

"Why did she leave?"

"She is an alpha's daughter. She had to go back for her pack."

"Then why did she come if she could not stay? Surely to make a friendship, she was here a while."