forty three

Giggling and stumbling my way out of the grand hall was not my finest moment. If Asra hadn't caught me the moment my foot caught on a step, I would've face planted the floor.

"How many did you drink?" He grumbled, holding me steady.

I giggled, shaking my head. "Like, four."

Asra scowled, and it only caused my laughter to unfold. I had way over four. Since he tried to restrict me, I would sneak them behind Piper. Apparently, after nine o'clock, they used a wolf concoction that meant wolves could actually get stronger! I sneakily tried one and couldn't help but marvel at how hard my head span.

I dragged Piper onto the dancefloor and slow danced with her, before the music turned upbeat and we spun each other around. Much to the dismay of prying eyes, the two of us didn't care. By the time I reached for my second wolf-drink, Asra had caught onto my plan and tore the glass from my hand before pulling me out of the room.

And that was where we were ladies and gentle people.

Asra shook his head, wiping something away from the corner of my eye. "You had too many."

"I barely had two," I scoffed.

"You just said four." His eyebrow rose. "Are you lying to me, mate?"

I snickered, shaking my head. "The only lie I can do is in bed, asleep."

Asra shook his head. "Shall we go back to our room?"

"It's barely tomorrow!" I pouted. "I don't want to leave Piper."

"She has only been gone for a month. It's not that long of a time-

"Piper!" I whined.

Asra sighed. "You can have her over breakfast if your head doesn't hurt too much."

I grinned, nodding. "Okay, I will go tell her!"

I faintly heard Asra groan, muttering an unfamiliar language beneath his breath. It made me grin, knowing he was going to get handsy with me in a minute.

Re-entering the room, I found Piper talking to a rather handsome older gentleman. He was talking to someone beside him, but I paid no attention as I wrapped my hand around Piper's wrist.

"Breakfast tomorrow?" I asked.

She turned to me with surprise, not expecting my sudden arrival. It seems the man next to her didn't, too, because he wrapped his hand around my shoulder and tugged me away from her. I squawked a complaint as my feet tripped over themselves, but the man did not let go. Glaring at him, I jerked out of his grip and smoothed down my ruffled dress.

"Well, that was rude of you," I tutted. "I nearly fell over!"

"Rude of me?" The man scoffed, exasperated. "Who are you, human, to be grabbing my daughter like that?"

I was about to sprout some other champagne influenced insult, but then what he said caught my attention.

Daughter?

My eyes narrowed as I scrutinised the older man, crossing my arms and scratching my chin. He was tall, like Piper, and slender, like Piper. He had dark hair too, but instead of brown eyes, his were blue, and his skin was paler. The man beside him was a nobody, and I barely glanced at him when I realised so.

Turning to Piper, I grimaced. "This is your dad?"

He scoffed. "I am an alpha. You speak to me as such."

I pursed my lips, wincing up at him. "An Alpha and a father never go well."

He blinked, his lips parting with an annoyed growl. About to sprout another useless insult to my hazy mind, a warmth that erupted across my back interrupted us. I looked skyward, finding Asra pressed against me from behind.