eighteen

"There is no entertainment tonight." Caleb growled softly.

"None?" The stranger laughed softly. "Two humans and four wolves. Sounds like a party to me."

A disgusted shiver ran down my spine at the image she was trying to create.

"Just leave." Caleb warned the stranger.

I wondered why Asra had not yet spoken, but his body language was more defensive than offensive. I assumed he was going for intimidation, perhaps a front of his title.

His body had shifted, so he was mostly in front of me. His hand slipped from mine, and I caught the look the woman gave him from behind his shoulder. It intrigued her. As my eyes adjusted, I could make out her features better. Her hair was magnificently long, draping past her hips in long, white waves. Her eyes were dark and bare of any lashes, her eyebrows so white I couldn't see them. With skin even paler than mine, I wondered what she was more than who.

"Protective, Alpha?" She clicked her tongue.

"Eris." Asra growled. "You are close to the wolf sectors. Coming here was not an accident."

"Oh, I was just going for a run, Alpha." She teased.

I watched her as she moved, her limbs long and thin as she effortlessly glided across the ground.

Eris.

He knew her by name.

"Run elsewhere. There is nothing here. These humans have been out of your sight for years." He warned her.

"As far as I am aware, this land is not under your protection though..." She cocked her head. "So the humans are fair game."

"How did you find this place?" Caleb wondered. "It took us years to find it."

Asra stiffened when she came closer and I inhaled sharply when her keen eyes studied my mate. A strange sense of jealousy overcame me that had me scowling. I wasn't the jealous type, so why was this strangely unique woman making me feel that way? I had to force away my fear and face this situation head on. It was my only option.

"The way the human clings to you is truly intriguing..." she hummed, avoiding the question.

Asra's snarl grew louder, and I could see his lips curling, preparing to reveal his gleaming, sharp teeth. My sister's fingers dug into my skin, but I barely registered the pain of her nails.

"These humans are under my protection." He snapped.

"What did you do to her? Was it magic?" Eris grinned. "Tell me you did not seduce her just to kill her."

"He did not seduce me." I spoke.

Her eyes flickered to me; eyebrows high as she ran those dark orbs over my face. I felt goosebumps rise on my skin, an unwelcoming feeling taking over me. When her nostrils flared and a broad grin erupted on her lips, the feeling only grew.

"A human who can snap back." She grinned. "Rare when they usually cower at the sight of me."

"You are nothing terrifying to look at." I pointed out, keeping my voice in check.

I didn't want her to know she intimidated me. Her appearance here had everyone on edge, and I did not want to be the topic of conversation without saying something to defend myself. They deemed her a threat, but nobody was taking action.

"How intriguing. I am impartial to a female human..." Eris smirked, drifting her eyes over to Asra. "Do you perhaps share, Alpha? Two between five?"

Asra was tense, his growl his answer. She sighed, crossing one arm beneath the other as her hand caressed her chin. She seemed at ease, as though being surrounded by four wolves was child's play when they could rip her open with ease.