thirty one

I was on edge for the entire dinner service. Asra had stated that he was talking to Caleb this morning and lunch had already passed by and he had not showed up. I busied myself with cleaning, forcing one of the kitchen staff to go on her break early. I knew if I didn't distract myself, then I would barge into his office demanding to know the outcome.

"You alright there, Luna?"

It startled me at the close contact of the voice, my head whipping around to find Serenity hovering behind me. As per usual, her arms were holding a large wash basket full of white bed sheets. Her head cocked, and she stared at me with concern.

Sighing, my shoulders sagged, and I dropped my eyes back to the pan I was scrubbing. "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" I could hear the concern in her tone. "You've washed that pot twice now whilst I have been in here."

Blinking, I paused my scrubbing. Emptying the pan, I eyed it before looking at the towel I was stacking them on. I had washed three pots, but we only used two. I groaned, dropping my head backwards to glare at the ceiling.

Rinsing the pan, I lay it on the side and wiped my hands on another towel. My fingers gripped the edge of the counter as I fought to come back to reality.

"Luna?"

"Ailia is fine, Serenity." I mumbled.

"Do you need my help?"

I shook my head, turning around to face her. "I'm okay, honestly. Thank you."

"Something on your mind?" She wondered.

My jaw tightened, knowing I could not disclose the actual information to her. Having a spy in the ranks could mean chaos within the entire pack. I couldn't do that to them, Serenity included.

"It's okay, just something's going on that I can't stop thinking about." I explained.

"Perhaps you need a distraction." She quipped.

"I am trying." I laughed, gesturing to the kitchen.

"Maybe it isn't a good enough one." She shrugged.

I laughed. "Well, I have to prepare dinner soon. There isn't much I can do."

"Perhaps you just need some music." She grinned, before turning to the other two women in the kitchen. "I am sure some music won't hurt?"

They cheered with agreement, and I raised an eyebrow. "Music? From where?"

"The radio, silly." Serenity pointed to the small box in the window.

"Is that what that is?" I wondered. "I thought it was just a decoration."

She laughed, handing me the wash basket before leaning around me. Taking the wooden box in her hands, she pressed a button before spinning a dial. It buzzed and crackled before the faint sound of a voice mumbled through the white spotty part of the box. With a gentle tap on the side, Serenity got it going and grinned as she placed it back on the side.

An upbeat tune was playing as a female voice sang about a party she went to. I cocked my head, wondering how this device even worked. Evermore didn't have such things, and I was used to the televisions now, but this one didn't even have pictures!

"See if that helps!" Serenity chirped, taking the basket from me with a small thanks.

The music was loud enough that I couldn't help but focus on it more. I thanked her for her advice, and she left with a small nod and a smile. Everyone got back to their work, the nosey wait staff disappearing back into the dining room. They were on cleanup duty, since most of the kitchen staff were on their lunch right now.