thirty four

The cell was damn cold.

I was huddled on the bed with Arabella's back pressed against mine. Our combined warmth helped, but my hands and feet were freezing. There was no blanket, no pillow, just a mattress without a sheet. Even a thin bed sheet would've been a good enough blanket to protect myself from the draft.

Asra was still nearby, and I noticed the entire cell block had fallen quiet at his presence. I wondered whey he was still here, but didn't want to push it when both of us were too hot-headed. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Things didn't add up and it made me question everything.

Was Arabella truly innocent?

She had to be. How would she inform Darius when Evermore didn't have phones? A letter would not get there so quickly, and even so, Evermore was a hidden village. Besides, Arabella had been busy with Mya most of the time.

But what was wrong with Asra? Why was he acting like this? Like we were nothing but opposites. It seemed like his wolf's instincts took control, forcing him to behave this way. But Asra, although a beast, could control himself well around me, so what changed?

I sighed, shivering slightly to stay warm. It had been at least ten minutes, but I could already feel the cold seeping through my still damp skin. My hair continued to drip down the back of my neck too, which was just annoying.

I didn't want to be here. I wanted this all to be forgotten and be back in bed.

As if by fate's cruel design, a door creaked open nearby and voices murmured down the hallway. It echoed in the silence of the cells, and I concentrated on the footsteps. They were heavy and loud, and when they didn't stop, I knew they were coming my way. I held my breath, my heart lurching as they came to a stop right outside the cell.

My eyes narrowed when the male's eyes found mine, and he awkwardly shifted his weight. I couldn't help but let my gaze wander over him, taking in his stressed appearance, my lips pulled into a frown.

Sighing, I pushed myself away from the bed. Arabella squeaked slightly as I slowly rose from the mattress and walked closer to the door. I crossed my arms, staring him down with a raised eyebrow.

Caleb scratched the back of his neck, awkward. "Hey, Luna."

"Why are you here?" My nose crinkled.

If Asra had let him go, then he must've been innocent.

"I just wanted to see you," His lips pursed, glancing over his shoulder.

"See me? Why?" My eyebrows furrowed. "I thought he would've beaten you senseless."

"He did," Caleb grimaced. "And the moment I knew what the phone call was about, I wanted nothing more than to come and see you. I should've been more aware of it, and I apologise."

"It's not your fault," I sighed. "You didn't know I didn't have a brother. You do not know me."

"That is true," He muttered. "Despite that, I should've asked questions. They asked for you by name, said you were expecting their call."

I shrugged, leaning against the blood splattered wall. "You didn't have to come down to see me."

"The moment Alpha set me free, I wanted nothing more than to." He shook his head. "I feel terribly guilty, and I understand why you both questioned my loyalty."

"You were the first person we thought of, I'm afraid." I frowned. "But he is acting rash and stupid right now, so I apologise for not being more welcoming to one of his friends."

"It's okay," He shrugged. "He isn't happy."

I glanced toward my sister, a frown marring my face. "I see..."