seventy

** double update alert **

As I stepped into the circle, I noticed that the ground felt noticeably softer and squishier under my feet. I grimaced, staring down at my trainers with annoyance.

I'd have to wash those after this.

Annoying.

A brief gust of wind caressed my bare legs, and I turned just in time to see a wolf run from behind me. It didn't even go for me; Asra was dramatic.

I snorted a laugh, taking another few steps into the chaos. Looking around, there had to be at least sixty wolves in here. I could tell the difference between the female and males, the latter being larger with greasier fur. All the girls had such pretty fur, so silky soft.

Before I could take another step, a wolf prowled towards me. It had its head low, eyes locked onto my own as it creeped across the mud. I hesitated, staring across at the strange beast. This wasn't Caleb, nor Everett, nor even Rio. It was one of the rare light furred wolves, a deep sandy richness to its coat.

It shook its fur out, growling low.

It appears I have a challenger.

I frowned down at the beast as it lowered its head, unsure who it was. It was brave to come up to me. Despite it being the rules, I was still the alpha's mate. That was usually a no-go area.

"What do you want?" I huffed.

The wolf growled, curling its claws into the ground moments before it launched. Like a switch in my mind, I reacted and jumped out of the way. My body burned with adrenaline, fuelling the fire of my heart. The wolf was fast to bounce back, and as though I had done it a thousand times before, I fell into its rhythm.

It was a blur, my breathing harsh yet steady as I defended myself against the brave beast. Its teeth grazed my bare legs, nipping at the cotton of my cycling shorts. I jumped out of the way, cursing when I felt the fabric tear.

Now I was muddy and damaged. Great!

Before the wolf could charge past me, I send a kick into its flank. It yelped with surprise, skidding across the ground and tearing up the dirt.

That'll teach him to ruin my clothes.

It shook out its fur, snarling now.

Time to luna-up Ailia, otherwise there will be no more clothes to wear.

As if acting on instinct, I stomped my feet into the ground, widening my stance to look bigger. I bared my teeth, glaring with everything that I could muster as a snarl of my own vibrated my chest. The wolf hesitated, its muscles rippling as it fought to resist. My body hummed, a bubbling in my gut that had my heart race.

"Stand down!" I snarled.

The wolf shuddered, its eyes closing with defeat. I remained still until the beast lowered itself onto its belly and rolled onto its side with a whine. I sighed, straightening my posture. The moment I looked away and lost the edge, the wolf turned and slinked its way out of the circle. The moment its paws landed on the other side, the other wolves threw themselves over him.

I watched as they seemed to belittle him, forcing him to the ground with their enormous paws and nipping at his fur with low growls. The sandy wolf whined, exposing its underbelly with submission. And the moment it did so, Caleb nipped his throat before backing away completely. The sandy wolf didn't move, accepting its defeat with a sigh.

Caleb levelled his eyes with mine, holding my gaze for the briefest of moments before he dropped his head with acknowledgement. I exhaled loudly, running my hand through my hair. My body still buzzed with adrenaline, aware that it may not be over yet since I was still in the circle.