eleven

It took me a while to calm my racing heart. I wasn't sure I would ever get used to car journeys; the unsettling bumps had me gasping for breath every time. The roads out of Asra's pack land were uneven dirt, so you can imagine how often I was holding my breath.

We had driven in silence as I came to terms with the feeling. I decided didn't like the front seat. I much preferred the back where I could not see my impending doom.

The approach of some huge ass gates had me squinting to get a better look. Asra slowed the vehicle down until we came to a stop and I observed our surroundings. A male approached the vehicle, his head in line with the wing mirror, and Asra rolled down the window. They exchanged a few words, and I caught onto a few vague code names before Asra muttered about the sunrise and shut the window.

"What was that about?"

"Just telling him when to expect us back, and if we are not back and he receives no response, then to stage an attack." He stated, shrugging.

"An attack?" I squeaked; my eyes widening.

"I am the alpha, Tulip, and you are now the luna. If anything happens to us, the pack will take revenge."

"That's..."

"What family does." He smiled, pushing the car back into gear. "Now let's go."

The enormous gates swung open, a low creak barely heard through the spluttering of the engine. The truck-car lurched forward the moment Asra had an opportunity. I watched him as he shuddered, a deep set grimace on his face.

"You okay?" I wondered.

"Just the border change." He glanced at me.

"Border change?"

"My land is my land; we respect other pack's territory. Some, like I, have witches cast spells to deter wanderers and make it more poignant." He explained. "So when I leave, I feel the change. I have stepped out of my land's protection and into emptiness. This land is un-claimed."

"And we are just happily going through it?" I cocked my head, confused. "Isn't that dangerous?"

"It can be." He admitted. "But no sane wolf comes close when they know I am near."

"Rather fond of yourself." I snorted.

He rolled his eyes, moving to switch the radio on. "I am the alpha."

"Yes, sir." I mock saluted him.

Asra grumbled, glaring at me through a quick glance. I spluttered a laugh, unable to maintain my composure. I watched as his shoulders relaxed the moment I did, his back sinking into his seat.

"Get comfortable. We are in for a long drive."

"How long?" I wondered. "It took us thirty minutes just to get to your damn drive gate!"

"Give it three hours, Tulip."

"Will we last on fuel?" I wondered. "Cars run on fuel, right?"

"Yes. I filled the tank last night."

"Isn't fuel bad for the environment?"

"Yes, it is."

"And you are driving a huge ass truck-car that is so loud it sounds like you when you're fast asleep?"

His jaw tightened. "Yes."

"Rather contradictory, isn't it? Being a wolf and loving the earth." I probed.

"I suppose."

I couldn't help the enormous grin on my face, a laugh bubbling from my mouth. "Poor squirrels."