forty

Entering the ballroom, the sheer size took me aback. It had looked like a simple one story building, but inside, it was so much more intricate.

Besides the enormous chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, or the sheer magnitude of the room, it was bright and rich in design. The walls were a soft cream, yet every panel seemed to be lined with some kind of golden silk. Intricate designs swirled around each decorative panel, creating borders and styling throughout. Every so often, there were porcelain looking ornamental figures, some wolves, some people.

The roof was high, so, so high that if it had floors, it would be the same size as a two-story house. The roof was domed and if I squinted, I could make out depictions and images of wolves and humans painted across the ceiling. It was as though Michelangelo himself had been here and filled his bored days with art.

Lavish green and cream curtains hung from fifteen feet tall windows, draping elegantly into tie backs. The floor was a shiny creamy marble, polished to perfection. Couples were scattered throughout the entire room, with some even dancing to the soft music playing from a stage in the far-left corner.

Next to the band was a single curving staircase that travelled up to a balcony. At the back of the gold encrusted balcony, was another set of doors shielded by curtains. I assumed the Alpha was going to make some kind of royal entrance. It was only his second baby, so I wasn't sure why all the chaos was for a second babe. Plus, it was already like a month old!

"Okay?" Asra mumbled.

I swallowed, blinking back to my present and nodding softly at him. He bent down to kiss my temple, and I pushed myself closer to him. We trudged into the room, going around the edges so I could make sense of my surroundings. Asra remained stoic, his back straight and eyes scrutinising every person we passed. Most of them were preoccupied, and those that saw us did not approach and merely bowed their heads.

That was until we came to a person who turned around with a broad grin.

"Well, if it isn't my neighbour!" The man bellowed, patting Asra on the shoulder. "Asra, my friend, what are you doing here?"

"They invited me, Earl. What about you? I didn't realise they needed anymore knobs in this establishment. It seems well decorated." Asra quipped, quirking an eyebrow, catching me off guard.

The man, Earl, laughed. "Yep, suppose I deserved that."

I observed him as he turned to me. Sharp angular features with deep brown eyes, his dark brown hair had a burgundy flare to it, choppy and styled neatly on his head. He was as tall as Asra, if not a little more, with a fairly slim build. He was an alpha, or beta; I was sure of it, and when he took a step closer to me, I could smell his overwhelming stench of cologne.

"Well, I assume this to be Lady Asra." He grinned lazily. "My name is Earl, Earl Eastwood of the Eastwood Pack, and you are..."

My jaw tightened but Asra did not comment, leaving me a few seconds to introduce myself if I wanted to. This Earl seemed okay, a little boisterous, but Asra wasn't too bothered by his presence; just his normal amount.

"Ailia, nice to meet you." I outstretched my hand.

He beamed, clasping my hand in his own before pulling me closer to plant a kiss to my cheek. I blushed, taken aback by his approach, but he didn't linger, releasing me with a broad grin.

"I never thought I would see the day that Asra claimed a female." He stated. "I must say, mate-ship looks good on you."

Asra shrugged his compliment off, looking down at me with a calm expression. "Earl is the neighbour of my old pack. He and my family go back a few centuries."