twenty eight

I had spent the rest of my day in the kitchen, trying to distract my mind.

I had mixed emotions. Fear and worry consumed me as I thought about Darius's warning and how he discovered my whereabouts. Another was anxious about keeping it quiet, along with the whereabouts of my so-called soulmate. It fueled my agitation because he had left me during the night.

The entire day I was running hot, an angry huff constantly within me. I momentarily felt sorry for the chopping boards and vegetables that I had butchered today.

The sun was setting now, and I was sitting on the porch munching on some chopped fruit. I glared off into the trees, annoyed at a sharp headache. I knew what it meant. He was on his way and checking in on me. I wouldn't let him in, and the moment he broke through that damn treeline I was going to...

Ugh!

Leaving me after we completed the bond... The audacity!

Ugh!

Never-mind, I was going to meet him halfway.

Discarding my bowl on the swing, I wiped my hands on my trousers and marched into the woods. I did not know where I was going, and tried to listen for voices or footsteps of any kind. The birds were lively with their last song of the day, which meant gigantic wolves did not disturb them yet.

I ignored the agitating determination of Asra in my head. I followed the strange tugging in my gut, allowing the bond to take over my senses and lead me through the trees. When it grew quieter and eerily darker, I knew I was in the right place.

Huffing, my hands balled into fists as twigs broke beneath me. I heard echoing footsteps in the distance, barely noticeable. It was strange, my ears picking up on the slightest of shuffling leaves. Perhaps I was going crazy, or perhaps the rage within me made my ears supersonic.

Gritting my teeth, I raised my chin when I caught sight of them. Coming to a stop, I crossed my arms and waited for them to make the last few steps. I glanced at the surrounding men and noticed the way Rio's eyes widened before he tapered off with Everett at his side. Rio flickered his eyes down my form, the smallest hint of a smirk on his face.

"Luna..." Rio nodded, passing me.

I grunted, ignoring him as I levelled my gaze at the man before me. He stood stoically, watching his friends go with hard eyes. I noticed the way his throat bobbed and his jaw tensed, a sure sign he was uncomfortable.

Good.

I wanted him to sweat. I was certain my anger was palpable by now.

Ailia Thorne was out for vengeance.

"Tulip..." He began.

"Don't you Tulip me." I snapped.

He blinked, those midnight eyes turning dark. "What's the matter?"

"The matter? Oh nothing, I thought I would just come for a stroll through the woods as the sun went down. Alone." I glared.

He swallowed nervously and took a step toward me, but I stood my ground. When his hands came to wrap around my elbows, I shrugged him off and took a step back.

"You don't get to touch me." I hissed.

"What's wrong? Talk to me." He shook his head, reaching for me again.

I took a larger step back. "I would've loved to talk to you this morning, but there seemed to have been something preventing that..."

He sighed, his shoulders lowering dramatically. "Please, Tulip. Don't do that."