forty two

I couldn't shake the tension from my bones. My mind was still on high alert, my back rigid, as it felt like a million eyes were on me. I was five champagne glasses down, and as soon as I felt a minor hit, Asra had taken it from me and told me to slow down. He promised we could drink in the privacy of our room, but in here, we needed our wits about us.

I didn't have any wits, not like the wolves did. In this entire room, I was the only one who didn't deserve to stand where I was. It took five glasses of wine to get the truth from my chest.

Countless couples passed us by, exchanging soft greetings, but only a few made conversation. I felt like a sidepiece and soon became uninterested as the eleventh alpha spoke only to Asra. When he departed, I exhaled loudly and turned to my mate.

"How long has it been?"

"Ninety minutes," He mumbled.

I groaned, my forehead falling to his shoulder. "Is that all?"

"Five glasses of champagne in an hour is a pretty good score." He chuckled.

I scoffed, shoving him playfully. "You have had the same amount."

"I am wolf," He shrugged. "It is like juice to me."

"Gross juice. It's not even that tasty." I muttered. "Should we dance again? What do we do?"

Asra's gaze had been surveying the room, but he nodded and we drifted to the dance floor. I was watching him as he led me across the dance floor, and when a sly smile crossed his face, I narrowed my eyes with suspicion. I became distracted by his soft face and his defined jaw. The gentle lights of the room reflected in his blue eyes, and I could see my mark on his skin.

Is that why he wore his shirt unbuttoned?

My stomach fluttered with a strange notion.

Asra looked down at me, his lips parting with words I didn't quite understand. I was too distracted to pay attention until he leaned too close and nibbled my ear.

"Hey!" I frowned.

"I wouldn't have had to do that if you were listening." He teased.

"What do you want, cannibal?"

"Technically, I wouldn't be a cannibal." He quirked an eyebrow. "We are different species."

I blinked, unable to spurt a comeback from his facts. He chuckled, kissing my temple and spinning me around. He held my hands as I stood with my back to his chest, my arms crossed around my stomach. I glanced down at the floor, wondering if he was going to spin me back out or just hold me here as a punishment for not listening.

"Tell me what you see, Tulip." He whispered in my ear.

Goosebumps rose on my skin. His breath fanning my neck felt too intimate for such a crowded room.

I thought over his question, lifting my eyes to scour my room. Lameness. That's what I saw. And I told him so.

He grumbled, pinching my sides. "Look properly."

I huffed, rolling my shoulders as I looked around. Most of the single alphas were mingling, a rare few with a woman by their side. Most of the couples were dancing, the song playing a gentle one as Asra swayed us. To the back of the room was the appetiser table, full of various sweet and savoury snacks that I would need five portions of to settle my hunger. A large bay window housed it; the glass running from the floor to the ceiling. Soft, voile curtains swept gracefully from the room.

I hungrily ran my gaze along the food table and past Piper as she nibbled on a pastry. I marvelled at the lights, at the distant skyline through the windows. The sky was bright tonight, must be near a full moon.