sixty five

Visit Evermore?

Again?

Last time didn't go so well, but mother had been drunk. The odds of it being so smooth again... Especially now we had Arabella in our home... I dreaded to think.

"Visit Evermore again? Asra, I don't know about that..."

"How else are we going to interrogate your mother?"

"I don't think she is the one we should be interrogating." I shook my head. "We need to find out if Flynn is my father. Is there another ball or anything?"

Asra frowned, staring down at me with concern. "There is nothing planned until the Harvest Moon, maybe the blood moon in winter, even so I rarely visit those celebrations."

"When is the Harvest Moon?" I wondered.

"September time." He shrugged. "Did you know the super-moon is tonight?"

"What's that?" I wondered.

"Just a bigger moon, which means stronger instincts."

I stared at him before shaking my head and going back on to the previous topic.

"I don't want to go back to Evermore."

"What's holding you back?" Asra sighed.

I turned to Evangeline, finding her leaning forward in her seat. Her chin lay on her palms, elbows resting on the sofa as she peered at us with a broad grin. Instead of answering her, I frowned with concentration. Witches were fickle, they liked games. Even Asra said so.

So, what if what Evangeline was saying was more factual that I thought?

She was a fate too, which, apart from seeing my soul, meant she could not tell the entire truth without affecting the future.

What if Alison was interfering with wolves?

What if her grandparents were of wolf blood?

I never met her grandparents, and she never spoke of them. What if they were still alive? Finding them could give us answers, and answers could point us in the right direction of their involvement with my father.

Perhaps from there, we could find out who my true mother was and where she was today.

What if she was alive? How many family members do I have?

And my father, he had those banned human goods hidden under the floorboards. How did he get them? He told me they were my grandparents, so who's side? His? Alison's? Or my mother's?

And who was the witch that cursed me? The witch was stronger than Evangeline.

But yet, how did Evangeline know my father? She knew he liked to swim. Was that because she saw my soul, or did she genuinely know from experience?

Too many questions and not enough answers.

Blinking back into the present, I found Asra smirking at me.

"Can we research some names?" I wondered.

"Names?" Asra wondered.

"Alison. I think she is involved with the wolves." I suggested. "There are a few names I think could lead us towards finding out some history. If it comes to a dead end, then we can go to Evermore."

"That simple?" Asra wondered.

"Yep. That simple."

He studied me before making a soft noise of acceptance. "Okay. Write whatever you know down and we will work from there. Evangeline, I assume that is the end of your capabilities?"