9

*edited*

"What if I hadn't pulled the cup out in time?" Clary stared at the card in her hand

"What if I hadn't pulled the cup out in time?" Clary stared at the card in her hand. Jace was standing close to her. He barely left any room between them.

I was standing with Isabelle. She was wearing more formal clothes today. I guess her parents wanted her to grow up or dress better. The Lightwoods take their parent's influence seriously. I would understand it. I have for a while wanted someone's approval so much. It meant everything to me until I just gave up.

"But you did. The first rule in shadow hunting is if something blows up just keep walking," Jace told her. Their faces were extremely close.

"And the second," She smiled. Izzy used her whip to snatch the cup from Clary's hands.

"There's nothing you can't do in heels," Izzy smirked as she and I walked down the stairs. She looked at the cup. She looked at the intricate designs on it.

"Alec, what are you doing? You can stare at these screens all you want, they can't get past those wards without angel blood," Jace turned away from her. Alec was standing in front of one of the monitors. Clary put the cup back into the card keeping it safely hidden.

"Not unless invited by a shadow hunter," Izzy said.

"Last I checked Valentine is a shadow hunter. The cup is not safe here, we have to give it back to the Clave," Alec turned around staring at Clary.

"No, not after everything we did to get it," Clary looked at me for help.

"I agree with Alec, it's extremely important Clary," I crossed my arms. She shook her head and turned herself away from me. 

"I agree," Izzy smiled.

"You're agreeing with me," Alec smiled.

"I'm full of surprises," Izzy leaned into my shoulder.

"Lena, this cup is the one chance we have at getting our Mom back," Clary looked at me. Her eyes searched mine for pity. Something. Anything.

"I agree with Clary," Jace added. I forced myself to not roll my eyes. Of course, he did. "We can't give it to the clave, not yet. It's our only bargaining chip."

"We can't give it back. Not yet. I promise you I will not let that monster get his hands on it. I know how important this cup is." Clary said. Alec looked at me and I shrugged. This wasn't my decision.

"Follow me," Alec sighed as he turned around walking onto the upper platform. Clary handed him the cup. The two of them talked for a few moments.

"You think their friends?" I asked Izzy.

"Not even a bit," She shook her head. An alarm started going off. We each turned to one of the screens seeing the alerts going off.

"Damn it," Alec muttered as he came to my side.