14

*edited*

Aldertree, Jace, and I got back to the institute

Aldertree, Jace, and I got back to the institute. We were expecting to find a demon but we didn't. Clary was staring off into the distance her mind stuck in something. I saw Isabelle and Alec on the floor together. Jace went to them as I went to my sister.

"Lena," Clary muttered. She stood up and came over to me hugging me tightly.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I asked. 

She fell into my arms not saying a word. I just held her there as she cried in my arms. Aldertree just looked at the group of us on the floor.

"Clary, I'm sorry, but I need to take her," Aldertree interrupted. Clary shook her head as she gripped my arms tightly.

"No, no, you can't," Clary shook her head. "Don't leave me."

"Just let her come with," I said. 

She gripped my hand tightly as I walked her out of the room. We walked into one of the main offices. Aldertree gestured for me to sit in a chair as he put vases under the arms of the chair. I sat down and let him cut into my arm angling them over the vases as I bled.

"What are you doing?!" Clary yelled.

"Clary stop," I said. I understood what he was doing. He was trying to drain me of the amount of demon blood in my system. It was kind of smart if it didn't hurt this much.

"No, Lena, what the hell is this?"

"She has too much demon blood in her system," Aldertree added. "It's killing her. She needs to release it."

"It's a good idea," I let my head rest against the back of the chair. "While we wait for me to pass out. Clary tell me what happened."

"I can't," She muttered. "It's mom. She's—she's."

"The demon?" Aldertree asked.

"Yeah," Clary muttered. "Yeah, it was the demon."

***

"Lena," Jace said.

"Hey, I was just about to go to dinner," I offered. He gave me a tight smile but shook his head.

"I um," He let out a long breath looking around. "It's Alec." My smile fell. What was wrong with Alec? Jace scratched the back of his neck. He was worried.

"Got it," I nodded and moved for the doors of the institution. I pulled my phone out of my pocket calling him. "Come on. Please. Please." Voicemail. "Alec," I whispered. I looked up and down the street. My mind suddenly realized.

I ran to the old bookshop and climbed the fire escape. He was sitting on the edge of the building. I didn't say anything as I sat next to him. My feet dangling off the edge.

"You shouldn't sit on the edge," He said.

"You shouldn't either," I sighed. My hand was close to his. My fingers grazed over his hand as his jaw clenched. He pulled his hand away from me. "Alec."