53

*edited*

That night when everyone was asleep I went back into the main room

That night when everyone was asleep I went back into the main room. There were still other people working and out for patrol, but no one stopped me as I walked past. A few gave me glances, but they didn't stop me as I left the institute. 

The streets of New York were quiet for once. No horns were honking, no drunk people yelling, no friends out laughing or celebrating something. It was silent. I made my way toward the bookstore. The sign in the window says for lease. They'd cleared it out since I'd last been here. There were fewer books on the shelves. I moved to the back finding the spare key.

The air in the building didn't feel the same. I climbed the ladder near the back wall moving the crate to the side as I came toward the blank loft. The lights were gone, and the blankets and pillows were gone. 

My eyes were dry. My body was physically unable to cry anymore. I just felt the ache in my chest and I let the sobs come from my mouth, but there were no more tears left to cry anymore. I was angry. I was angry with the angels, angry with my sister, angry with myself for not seeing it sooner.

I should have been able to help her and why did the angels favor me and not Clary? I moved a section of the wall showing my small hiding cubby. I found my small stash back around the side and pulled it out replacing the section of wall. I moved out of the old bookstore climbing onto the roof. Everything was washing away from me. I didn't have my place anymore. I didn't have my twin. I didn't have my old home other than the institute.

"Raziel," I knelt on the roof pulling my weed from the bag. I packed a joint quickly and pinched off the end. I looked up at the stairs. "You better come down here to meet with me or god won't even be able to protect you."  

I rested the joint between my lips and lit the end. It caught fire and turned a deep red. I inhaled feeling the old sensation as it numbed my lungs. The smoke fills the night air. 

"Raziel, get the fuck down here!" I looked over the quiet city. The lights flickered in the distance. There was a noise behind me, but I didn't turn. I took another puff and watched the ash fall from the tip.

"Lena." It wasn't Raziel. I turned to see the red hair of my mother.

"Jocelyn." I stared at her blankly. "Of course he sent you." I took another puff. She moved forward smiling at me.

"I know Lena, I'm sorry," She pressed her hands to her chest like she was trying to beg for forgiveness. "I know I'm not the person you wanted to see and I knew that. He wouldn't listen to me though. He just thought it would be better coming from me, I guess." She moved closer to me. Her eyes went to the joint in my hands as I took another hit.

"Why did he take her from me?" I asked.

"She was warned," Jocelyn said. She had a pained expression like it hurt her to say that. "She was told that he would take it away if she fought them again. She used her gift selfishly."