39

*edited*

When I got back to the institute

When I got back to the institute. Isabelle was the first to intercept me. Her eyes were watery and she looked slightly distraught.

"What happened?"

"Two things," She touched my arm pulling me to a stop. "The Clave is supposedly torturing the Seelie prisoners they have." I crossed my arms. "And two Jace isn't okay. I know you both are going through a  lot, but please don't try to hurt yourself."

"He tried to hurt himself?" I asked. She clenched her jaw as she nodded slightly. I let out a long sigh and hugged Isabelle. "He'll be okay. I'll help him."

"Who's going to help you?" She whispered. "I know you're not okay Lena, I can feel it."

"I know, but I will be fine. I've done this before I can do it again," I assured her. "I'll make sure Jace doesn't do anything stupid." 

I walked past her ready to find Jace. He was standing outside Clary's door staring in. No one had touched her stuff. No one was going to move it.

"If you're going to tell me about my unhealthy grieving habits, I'm going to tell you to go away," Jace said. He didn't turn to me. His body leaned against the door frame as his arms were crossed.

"I'm not going to," I leaned against the other side. We stood in silence for a while. "The first time I noticed Clary had feelings for you I thought you were going to break her heart," I admitted. Jace looked over at me. 

"I mean you were a demon-hunting tattoo guy who wears black," I looked at his outfit. "You were totally a heartbreaker. I always thought her type was more like Simon. I mean hell the kid had been in love with her for his whole childhood, but the few moments I saw you two share," I shook my head. "I knew that she was going to fall for you, it was only a matter of time. The way you two looked at one another was indescribable. Until I found my Clary."

"Alec," Jace said. I nodded.

"It's going to take a lot of time to heal. I'm going to be honest with you," I let out a long breath. "If I lost Alec I don't know how I would be able to live with myself. I would feel lost." He stared at me his eyes watering. 

"I told Clary I would take care of you. I chose to save you and I will continue to do that because you are the person she loved. You are the person she chose. She couldn't live without you, but now we have to find a way to live without her."

"I don't know how," Jace whispered.

"We have to figure that out, but I don't think I can do it alone," I said. Jace looked over at me. A tear slipped down his cheek. He reached over pulling me into a hug with his hand at the back of my head.

"I'm sorry Lena," Jace said.

"For what?"

"Clary was the last piece of family you had left." I hugged him tighter. She was.