44

*edited*

I stayed with him the whole night

I stayed with him the whole night. I didn't leave his side. He's stayed with me on more than one occasion and I wasn't going to leave him. It feels like no matter where I go someone is always in trouble or in pain and I can't save them anymore.

"Magnus, I'm so sorry," I breathed as I stared at his hand in mine. "I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to you. This is my fault. I was so wrapped up in my own life that I didn't see you were struggling with your magic missing. You've given everything and more for me and the people I care for. You've done everything for the people you love." I kissed his hand. A tear rolled down my cheek. 

"You are the closest thing to a proper loving parent that I've ever had so I swear if you die on me I will go to Edom myself and drag you back here. I don't care if I have to face your father, I will bring you back to me." I leaned forward. 

"I can't lose you. I can fix this, just please, please hang on. Please don't leave me here." There was a knock on the door. I wiped my cheeks and cleared my throat before turning.  

"Can I come in?" Catarina asked. 

"Yeah," I pushed myself up and turned to her. "Did you make contact with the people at the spiral labyrinth?"

"Yes, I shared the test results and he agreed. Magnus's body is rejecting Lorenzo's magic," Catarina explained. I looked over at Magnus's body. He looked so pale. He didn't look like the Magpie I knew. 

"Think of this as a failing organ transplant. Each time he performs a spell it puts a tremendous strain on his body. He got lucky this time. He will regain consciousness." I nodded. "But if he uses magic again. Even for a small spell, he might not survive."

"Why can't we take out Lorenzo's magic?"

"I wish I could," She sighed. "The only one who can do that is Lorenzo himself."

"Lorenzo did this on purpose." I sighed. Catarina immediately started shaking her head.

"There's no way he could have planned it," She reasoned. I let out an aggravated breath as I looked back at Magnus. "With magic transfusions, there is always this possibility."

"Yes, but he knew how desperate Magnus was. Mag was vulnerable and Lorenzo took advantage of that," I argued. "Lorenzo needs to fix this or pay for what he's done." I tried to move past her, but she stopped me.

"You need to settle down." She snapped. I stepped back letting my shoulders rise and fall with each breath. "What does a shadow hunter say 'Emotions cloud judgment'. You lose your temper with Lorenzo and he'll have less incentive to help. Lorenzo is Magnus's only hope now, Lena." 

I looked back at Magnus. Another tear fell from my eyes. She was right, I knew she was right. There was no time for me to think like that, I don't know why I was all of a sudden. I walked out of the room seeing the others in the hallway pacing.