38

*edited*

"Do you know what you've done?" It was the voice again

"Do you know what you've done?" It was the voice again. I couldn't speak or move. I had nobody. No mind. I was just present. "You have nothing left to give Lena. There is nothing left to give for you. You've given it all to others. You've not kept an ounce for yourself, Lynn. Selfless forever."

I sat up quickly my body feeling heavy as I looked around the institute. I was in the infirmary. My clothes were new. I didn't know how I had gotten here. I moved from the bed my bare feet touching the floor as I moved through the institute.

I didn't have my gear. How long had I been asleep? I went to my room grabbed shoes and put them on. Lilith. Alec wasn't around I had searched all of the rooms. Jace, Isabelle, and Clary are gone too. I walked into the main room and saw Underhill first.

"Hey, do you know where everyone is?" I asked. He looked at me and then did a double-take.

"Lena?!" He smiled and then hugged me. We weren't that close. I pushed him back. "It's so good to see you awake."

"Awake?" I asked. "Where is everyone?" Lindsay came forward with a smile.

"Alec, Isabelle, and Jace are out on a mission," She said.

"Clary?" I asked. Their faces dropped. "What?"

"Lena, um—." Lindsay stopped.

"They should be the ones to tell her," Underhill whispered.

"Tell me now," I snapped. They both looked at one another.

"Clary died in the fight with Lilith," Underhill muttered. Neither of them could look me in the eyes. I shook my head.

"No, no, that wouldn't. She was supposed to be—." I looked at them. Underhill touched my shoulder, but I smacked his hand away from me. "Just-stop!"

I walked for the doors leaving the institute. Alec, Isabelle, and Jace were on a mission. I wandered around the city. It was dark outside. I didn't have my phone. The last thing I can remember was healing Alec. Jace was supposed to go for Clary. I walked to Magnus's apartment. The door was locked as I tried to walk in. I knocked on the door until he opened it.

"Bean!" He smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"Is she dead?" I asked. He moved back staring at me. My eyes were already watering. I needed someone else to tell me.

"Lilly—."

"Is Clary dead?" I asked him again. He took a deep breath which answered my question. I pursed my lips and moved back toward the stairs.

"Lilly wait," Magnus called, but I didn't stop.

Clary was dead. She wasn't dead. Clary Fray. Clary Fairchild. Clary Morgenstern wasn't dead. I would know. I was her twin. I would feel it. I would feel it. I walked through the streets everything focusing in and out. I walked into a liquor store stealing a few bottles as I got to the top of the bookstore.