10

*edited*

My phone had been ringing for a long time

My phone had been ringing for a long time. I didn't want to answer anyone. My mind ached and my heart hurt. I was on top of the bookstore. I'd come up here to smoke. This would be the only time someone is allowed to get to me. The only vulnerability I'll give to anyone. There was a call from Isabelle. It went to voicemail. I clicked on it.

"Lena, you need to get back here. I don't know what Alec is thinking, but I think he's going to do something stupid. Please, just give me a callback." I deleted the message moving to the next one.

"Linny, I'm sorry if I did anything to upset you. I just—please come back. I can't find you and everything is going to shit. My family's position is being stripped. We are losing the institute. I just need you." I closed my eyes and took another puff. I saved the voicemail moving to the next.

"Lena, I really need you right now. I just—I don't know what to do about Simon. I can't lose him," Clary sobbed. I deleted the message.

"I've tried to call you multiple times, but I want you to hear it from me first. I doubt Alec would tell you, but he's engaged to Lydia now." Isabelle's voice was quiet. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what he is thinking, but it's an attempt to keep control of the institute. Keep it from the clave. I'm sorry." I laughed a little deleting the message. 

Marrying Lydia Branwell. I was gone for one afternoon and he was already set for his future. Maryse was right. I wiped the tear out of my eye moving to the next message.

"I buried him, Lena. I buried Simon. He'll resurrect soon." She sniffled. "I don't know if I made the right choice. Please call me." I deleted the message.

"Lena, the things that attacked the wolves. They are transformed, hunters. That's why they have angel blood. It took me a while to figure it out but I did. One got into the institute and um, Alec was hurt—." I grabbed my phone going to Isabelle's contact and calling her.

"Lena, I've been trying to call you—."

"Is Alec okay?" I asked. My eyes wide as I stared at the floor waiting for her to respond.

"Yeah, he's getting fixed up now, but Lena you need to come back," Isabelle muttered. I could hear a wince.

"Don't squirm."

"It doesn't even hurt." I heard his voice in the background.

"He'll be okay though right?" I asked. She didn't respond. "Iz that's not reassuring at all."

"Sorry, I had to step away. Physically he will be fine sure, but Lena he's kind of losing it. The law is the law type situation." She reasoned. I let out a long sigh. "Please come back and help me convince him to stop this."

"I can't," I admitted.

"Why?"

"He would have a better life with Lydia. It would be less complicated without me there," I took a deep breath. "I'm not coming back."