21

*edited*

"What is happening?" Clary asked

"What is happening?" Clary asked. Valentine was walking around free. That's what's happening.

"Lilly," Magnus reached for me. Well, Valentine. I let out a long breath and hugged him.

"I want you to know how fucking weird this is," I patted his back a few times. If it was Magnus this hug would be comforting, but it was just awkward.

"I know Bean, I'm sorry," He shook his head.

"Valentine has Jace," Alec added. I pointed at Herondale.

"Why does she care?"

"He's my grandson," She said. "You have to go get him. Valentine has asked that no one but Magnus go into the apartments."

"I feel like these days just keep getting better and better honestly. I learn something new every day," I ran my hand through my hair.

"We need Sebastian," Clary said.

"Iz?"

"Can't get a hold of her," Alec shook his head. He slid his phone back into his pocket.

"Well nothing's wrong," I looked at the floor thinking.

"Just go," Herondale demanded. Sebastian came up beside me.

"So I heard you've got angelic powers now?" He smirked. "Never heard of that before."

"How would that make sense you didn't activate the soul sword," Clary muttered as we walked out of the institute.

"I died," I said. "I'm assuming by the grace of Raziel himself, the angels brought me back."

"It was from your sacrifice," Sebastian added. Alec's fingers grazed mine. I gripped his hand and I let out a long breath.

"We need to hurry," I said. 

When we got to the building. We let Magnus go first, Valentine's skin walking up to the door. We let him have a minute head start. When we came around the corner, Clary was gunning for the door. 

"Wait." I yanked her back. There was a shimmer that I hadn't noticed before.

"Wards are up," Alec added.

"Clary this has to be you," Sebastian added. Clary pulled her stele out and tried, but it fell away. She tried again, but it did the same thing. It wasn't working.

"I can't," She breathed.

"Yes you can," I nodded. She tried again and again.

"I can't."

"Clary," Sebastian grabbed her arms turning to her. "How does it feel to know you have no one left? That your mother is dead. Your father will never love you. Jace isn't your brother. And Lena has died already just to save you. How does that feel? That hollow feeling in your chest."